• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

what style for 36 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Tennessee-southern blend.42 ".A "weight barrel ash stock.Tip Curtis built)
This one is in 32 cal.1-40 twist.
small peep on tang..Gotta love a 42" sight radius.

IMG_25652.jpg

also..Dave Keck at Knob Mountain muzzleloading has over 100 different stock patterns to choose from...Give him a call ...
He also does barrel inletting and rr grove routing rr hole drilling.
He has soft brass hardware too.
Ask him about fly fishing.

Knob Mountain Muzzleloading
David Keck, Proprietor

287 Mountain Rd.
Berwick, PA 18603
Phone: 570-759-2053

Hello,

I just finished my .36 caliber rifle using a straight 13/16 barrel. Your barrel pictured saves about 5 ounces compared to mine. Colrain barrels require a lot of draw filing to remove roughing end mill tooling marks. Be ready for that (new files, file card, chalk and elbow grease). The bore is very nice and easy to clean.

I would suggest trying Makeumsmoke's advice and see if you can get a stock with a RR hole that is drilled for the 5/16th rod. Most stocks are drilled for a 3/8th rod, which works fine, but is loose and wastes wood in this case.

good luck to you. I took my 36 for a walk in the woods for the first time yesterday.

:)

Is there a particular style of rifle that you like?

With that swamped barrel I'm not sure you could make it fit that pre-carve that you note which was cut for a straight barrel, and Track doesn't offer a pre-carve for an A weight barrel.

You would either have to start with a blank or find another source for the stock where they could cut for a swamped barrel.

(Pecatonica has essentially the same pre-carves as Track and offer swamped inletting for an extra fee (used to be 45 bucks), a service Track doesn't advertise).

The Golden Age swamp profile available today is perhaps a little more severe of a swamp pattern than would have been found on originals, but is generally accepted as (correct) for many rifles based on originals from maybe 1776 thru 1825.

Southern rifles tended to have less swamp than Penn rifles, so if "correctness" is important to you, this barrel would be better suited to a (northern) rifle. If you just want something that handles "nice" you can pick just about any pattern/style that you want.

Properly done, just about any pattern you could think of to use with an A weight barrel is going to hold very nicely and point well - so again, it comes back to "what do you like".

I am not a pc guy I just like nice looking rifles. Working on a 12 guage right now that was put together with parts I have picked up off of here and there.
Was thinking that the stock I showed at track was not inlet very wide so thought I could get by with it because I always glass bed the barrels of my guns.(not very pc) lol I will call track and get a measurement. Cannot find a rice a weight?

36 cal build I would build a long slender rifle likely a Tennerrrrseeeee rifle would look great nice curly stock and dark browned steel. But thats just me, and your saving what 5 once at best by going to a swamped barrel over a straight one. If its about weight you could order a 3/4 inch barrel as well they hang really nice and are light my 40 cal is built with a 3/4 inch straight barrel and balances perfect right at the front bottom thimble perfectly. With a 42 inch barrel the gun weighs around mid 6 pound range. Granted they are hard to find these days if ya have a buddy with a lathe they can make a 13/16 into 3/4 in no time flat.

I lean toward SMR type architecture for small calibers. A York style stock would fit nicely. My .36 is a SMR with a 38" x 3/4" barrel. It's very light weight and very accurate.

Rice makes a swamped barrel they call their "squirrel" barrel. At 42" it is lighter than a 3/4" barrel.

makeumsmoke said:

IMG_25652.jpg

That's a mighty handsome rifle! (and a seriously fat meadow beaver)

makeumsmoke said:

IMG_25652.jpg

also..Dave Keck at Knob Mountain muzzleloading has over 100 different stock patterns to choose from...Give him a call ...
He also does barrel inletting and rr grove routing rr hole drilling.
He has soft brass hardware too.
Ask him about fly fishing.

Knob Mountain Muzzleloading
David Keck, Proprietor

287 Mountain Rd.
Berwick, PA 18603
Phone: 570-759-2053

righteous looking rifle!

by the way, do you call them woodchucks or groundhogs where you live?

I had a .36 caliber southern rifle once that had a straight barrel 42" long and 3/4" across the flats.

It was a very light and slim flintlock. It's one of the few rifles that I've sold that I regret to this day.

I liked that .36 southern rifle so much I had TVM make me one just like it ( to my specs ) except in a .32 caliber. I love it also.

You want eye candy here you go!

search member "Skychief"
find his topic........

"Show us your flintlock squirrel rifles!" (Topic#245355)

Take your time think it through...Southern style lends itself to squirrels.
That rifle in Pic was a GM 42" Goldenage swamped.
started as a 36 cal had it lined to a 32..added weight was a bounus with the "a" weight bbl.
Small barrel small lock.

Thanks!
We call them wood chucks..
played cat and mouse for 6 weeks till he made a mistake.
If he handn't dug under the shack footing he would have walked.
Next one I pot will get barbequed. :thumbsup:

We call them "Pot Guts," don't ask me why, but it takes in all varieties, rock and wood, or what ever. The little buggers can distroy an alfalfa field if you don't stop them.

Back