• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Welby with twist off back cyl in 577cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

faw3

69 Cal.
Reaction score
Need some help, Im stuck in bed and cant spend a lot of time on this thing (Dr's orders is to lay back) a guy that has been pulling his ML out and selling them to me camr by with Welby in 577 cal same as the Enfield bullet, 6 cyls welded together to make one cyl (clan and factory job I'm sure, its like the convert's for BP Colt's and Rems you just twist the back off) I'm not sure if it's a rim or center fire but the org box lable has a 1857 date anyone have any idea's This is really worn on outside but looks VERY shootable and would only cost mea bill. (the 2 little bottles of sperm whale oil should be worth that, anyway any idea's of when and what it is. Thanks Fred :hatsoff:

Flayderman's Guide makes no mention of a Welby which indicates the gun in question is either Foreign (English?) or is made in America by some unknowns.

The caliber would indicate the gun is English but I don't have any information on it.

Welby or Webley? Webley began making firearms back in 1790 or so. James and Philip Webley of Birmingham, England began making revolvers in 1853. They produced a variety of C&B, rimfire, pinfire and centerfire pistols through the 1850's and 1860's (and long afterwards), some in .577 cal. I could not find any reference to a pistol of that caliber made in 1857 though.
Is the gun a pepperbox?
Pete

A few of Webley's earliest .577 guns were percussions and this may be one that was converted. The early cartridge versions fired a cartridge that was made of a twisted copper sheet and an iron washer base. These werer pretty fragile, as you might expect. Tranter also made some revolvers in .577 Boxer as well as Webley.

I was able to find a little information on this piece in my Webley revolvers book. The .577 Boxer Revolvers were produced from 1866-1870. This does not agree with your box label, but 1857 may refer to something other than a production date. The revolvers I have seen are marked "P. Webley Patents", have 4" barrels, and one piece grips. They are not conversions and they are centerfire. They would use the same cartridge as the .577 Howdah pistols.

If you ever want to sell it please let me know. I have a small collection of Webleys and there is always room for more. If you have any other questions please drop me a line at [email protected].

Best wishes,

Ed

Thanks everyone, sorry about the mis=spelling ( I'm still stuck in bedd and have to be laying down hard to see that screen a 1/2 mile away! :rotf: ) Try to cover all the info at once cause you guys came up with more than I did. ( I'll ck and see if he wants to sell any of his others - about 2 dozen 1/2 of those in boxes - "The Webley, the gun that really won the west" saw a new book with something like that on Amazon, From as many as this gun shop saw come thru TEXAS since 1948 they bea Colt out 3 to 1 the 80 something owner said. ?? Anyway I thought it was maybe a homebuilt cyl tillI read Wes/Tex. This looks JUST like COLT CLOVERLEAF. A convert or ? Belg copy which seems to have been a done by the billions when the Bulldog came out...I might not never know. I'll try and get ome pics up when he runs thee gun back out here and I cqan get one of the kids to take pics. NEAT little gun and sure s heck wouldnt want one of those 577s to hit me. :shocked2: Fred :hatsoff:

Back