• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Vent pick

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Stumpkiller said:
Keep your eye out on the road for a mashed porcupine. Lifetime supply of vent picks (yes, they do work).
Some old rifles had twin loops under the cheek piece to hold quill, feather or metal vent pick. This particular rifle was made by the House brothers, world famous for their masterful creations. How may originals had this feather is unknown but I've seen a number of originals over the years so equipped.
https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/52/5e/97/525e97efd04beec8b839e920d2869437.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Wes/Tex said:
Some old rifles had twin loops under the cheek piece to hold quill, feather or metal vent pick.
Also some modern replicas, like this...

Spence

Here are some images of period (18th century) picks, "prickers", "priming wires" from George Neumann's Collector's Illustrated Encyclopedia of the American Revolution, 1975, pp. 264-265. They look pretty simple to me. Like maybe a piece of wire, (paper clip)? :doh:

You betcha. Have seen some interesting adaptations on modern built rifles including one that had a small hole drilled from the bottom of the butt up about 2/3rds of the way to the tang of the butt plate.

don't use music/spring steel wire

:shocked2: Why would ye say that?
Music/spring wire is what I use. Don't worry about wearing the vent hole with the little contact the wire has with it.
However, whatever you do, DO NOT use drill rod. :nono: It is brittle and will break.

Wick Ellerbe said:
Drill rod comes annealed, and is not brittle until someone hardens it.

Dunno. But, I do know I have a very nice scrimshawed bone handle for a vent pick. The drill rod pick broke off flush with the bone shortly after I acquired it. Now a pretty but useless item. :(

Well, it would seem that the " expert " doesn't like it when someone shows him documentation. Wonder where him went to so fast? :blah:

Hawkthrower said:
Well, it would seem that the " expert " doesn't like it when someone shows him documentation. Wonder where him went to so fast? :blah:
If you are referring to me, please keep your rude comments to yourself. :shake: :shake: After all, you appear to have nothing of substance to add by way of documentation...

As shown (and as I mentioned) - a simple wire was common as a pick/pricker/etc. The lower 2 items are combination tools of sorts and are somewhat outside our discussion. Not one antler-handled hat pin as a vent-pick to be seen.

Hoo doggies, I shoulda got the popcorn out. I never woulda thought my question coulda started such a feces storm. I will try not to stir it up so much in the future. My apologies to all who may have been ruffled...............Daniel

smo said:
I would think they used whatever was available .

Locust thorn, awl, feather etc. :thumbsup:

Ye took the words right outa my keyboard. :wink: Yeppers. We like pretty things today. A locust thorn, stuck in yer hatband is a perfect 'go to' tool for a pick, vent, teeths, etc. Sharpening a piece of bone works also. I have one made from a male coon 'appendage' bone. Whatever works, go fer it. Do yer own thang.

Chawbeef said:
Hoo doggies, I shoulda got the popcorn out. I never woulda thought my question coulda started such a feces storm. I will try not to stir it up so much in the future. My apologies to all who may have been ruffled...............Daniel
No worries Daniel. If you don't ask, you don't know.

As you can tell, I have a problem with willful ignorance and those who are purveyors of misinformation that refuse to be educated. In my experience, disagreement can be a stop on the way to knowledge...

Totally agree...and Daniel, don't worry, this isn't near the 'catastrophic' level some fracases have reached here! As long as Claude or Zonie or any admins haven't had to close it down, you ain't even close! :wink: :rotf:

Ba-ha-ha !!!

I figured if I let it go on for a few more pages it might get someone interested in reading some of old Will Shakespeare's writings.

You know.

"Much Ado About (almost) Nothing"

:rotf: :rotf:

As the saying goes - The devil is in the details....

I'm often surprised as to how significant these small details can be. They can make the difference between a good impression and a great impression.

Zonie said:
Ba-ha-ha !!!

I figured if I let it go on for a few more pages it might get someone interested in reading some of old Will Shakespeare's writings.

You know.

"Much Ado About (almost) Nothing"

:rotf: :rotf:
No kidding. It's obvious from early drawings that they used wire. I use a small piece of wire and I doubt I'll live long enough to enlarge the hole using it. There are things I worry about, but this isn't one of them. :wink:

Back