• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Vendors for good throwing knife/hawk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BigDogg

45 Cal.
Reaction score
Can anyone suggest some places that sell decent throwing knives and hawks?

Track's Reliables

You should consider the rules of any organization to make sure that what you purchase is permitted. Some give style requirements, maximum blade lengths or maximum weights.

Track also has throwing knives of various types.

CS

Thanks for the info CrackStock. I'll check them out. I just need it for the throwing portion of my club's trailwalk shoot. There aren't any restrictions, but I'd like to get something decent. :hatsoff:

I really like the hawks and knives made by 3J. You can buy them at the GunWorks:
http://www.thegunworks.com/

They are forged, look good and accurately weighed. The 3J throwing knives are almost indestructible. And the folks at the Gun Works are just the best to deal with.

wb

Last edited by a moderator:
I highly recommend Fort Turner.The man turns out some great hawks and knives.
I also have some from Crazy Crow, and the difference is night and day. Remember, that you get what you pay for. Check them out at Link

vthompson said:
I highly recommend Fort Turner.The man turns out some great hawks and knives.
I also have some from Crazy Crow, and the difference is night and day. Remember, that you get what you pay for. Check them out at Link
I agree. You do get exactly what you pay for, but why spend twice as much for a hawk you're going to throw at a target? Any hawk is unbreakable.

Now, if you want a hawk for looks, then by all means spend as much as you want. But just for throwing at a log? Be penny-wise.

IMHO, of course. :grin:

The best hawks and knives are by far from H&R Forge. Look them up on the nmlra.org site, or check with the Log Cabin Shop. A little more expensive but balanced and quality made. You won't go wrong.
Mark

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Capper and Papa. :hatsoff: I do like the Fort Turner ones. They look real nice.

1+ Donelson

Bought 3 throwing axes a year ago..My sons and their buddies just pounded them and the axes held up great..Don't forget to get some extra handles if kids are using them.

IMG_1139.jpg

We have several Fort Turner hawks and knives. They are great. I also have an old Dixie Gun Works hawk. I think it is made by H&B or H&R, I don't remember. I did have the blade on a hawk crack and break many years ago. I sent it back to Dixie and they replaced it for free. I have been throwing the replacement hawk for over twenty-five years and no problems. All of our hawks and knives have seen a lot of throwing and hard throwing (kids...). The kids used to call it "Indian darts". :idunno: :thumbsup:

About spending and quality. My .02.
I adhere to the tenet that "you get what you pay for" and am a great believer in the value of pride of ownership of something, like a knife, that is both well made and useful.
But....with throwing knives....if you want to become competent, you will have to practice. For me, practice means owning more than one knife - so as not to have to walk up to and back from the target after each throw. I own eight throwing knives. Five of them I made myself because I realized that a) they are not that hard to make and balance; b) most important.....if you throw a lot, the knives are going to get cut up, banged up, dented and otherwise abused, especially as you get better.
34609_1477488428273_1565621454_3115.jpg

You don't need to spend $45 on a knife to have this kind of thing happen. And it does.
I buy flat bars of mild steel 1/4" thick, cut them up into 15" length, shape them with an angle grinder and a SawzAll, drill the handle for leather scales, use nails for rivets, washers as retainers. Make them up for myself and my son. They throw as well as any I have bought....though they are not as pretty. After a season of throwing, the "better"knives aren't pretty either.
Pete

Well......I suppose that you could keep a nice new knife in that condition longer by throwing every knife at a different target on the stump rather than at the same spot . I suppose...
Pete

Back