• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Unknown Percussion Pistol

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I picked this up last weekend for $20. It appears to be a 50-caliber Smoothbore. Without removing the barrel or lock, the only markings I found were “Aberdeen” on the top barrel flat and “T Thomson” on the lock plate.

The barrel finish almost looks painted on.

The bore could use a good polishing. The hammer and ramrod are missing.

Any help in identification would be greatly appreciated. I tried searching both the Internet AND this forum first but came up with nothing.

Thanks!

Walt

Attachments

• 20230221_124049.jpg
    20230221_124049.jpg
    7.7 MB · Views: 4
  • 20230221_124206_HDR.jpg
    20230221_124206_HDR.jpg
    3.9 MB · Views: 0
  • 20230221_124228_HDR.jpg
    20230221_124228_HDR.jpg
    3.8 MB · Views: 0
From the number of empty holes in the lock plate I suspect you'll find the internals missing.
No, they're sitting in a plastic bag! I just need to inspect the parts and see about putting them back together. I'm hoping to find an aftermarket hammer to make it functional.

Thanks!

Walt

Don't think it is a replica... that's an original with possibly a degraded nickel plated finish. You'll be hard pressed to find an original hammer, but stranger things have happened , so it won't hurt to look. Alternatively, hammers aren't really all that difficult to make from scratch if you know a good gunsmith or blacksmith... it's gonna cost you though. I think it was well worth the twenty bucks you paid for it.

Check and make sure it is not loaded. I could tell you some scary stories. Also, before firing it, get a gunsmith to inspect it, and keep the loads light. No point in making a valuable old war horse like that into a pile of scrap metal. Years ago I stupidly overcharged a CVA pistol similar to that. The gun survived just fine, but my hand and wrist were sore for a week.

$20 was the right price. For $20 you have purchased a long and more expensive project. Not kvetching...I'd have bought it in a heartbeat. I really like the lines.

I actually bought four guns for $80. This one, an unknown 50-caliber half-stock caplock, a Miroku 45-caliber Kentucky rifle that needs a trigger, tang Bolt, and front sight, and an old unbuilt 45-caliber CVA Kentucky Flintlock kit that needs the spacer between the two stock pieces. It's from the 70s so the builder needs to drill the Touch Hole! There was also a Percussion lock for a Dixie Mountain Rifle and a Serpent Side Plate.

Hopefully, I'll be able to take a closer look at this pistol and the half-stock rifle in the next few days. I'll ask questions about the rifle in a separate post. I've seen the style before. The nose cap reminds me of a Tingle but is more prominent.

Walt

Last edited:
Don't think it is a replica... that's an original with possibly a degraded nickel plated finish. You'll be hard pressed to find an original hammer, but stranger things have happened , so it won't hurt to look. Alternatively, hammers aren't really all that difficult to make from scratch if you know a good gunsmith or blacksmith... it's gonna cost you though. I think it was well worth the twenty bucks you paid for it.

Check and make sure it is not loaded. I could tell you some scary stories. Also, before firing it, get a gunsmith to inspect it, and keep the loads light. No point in making a valuable old war horse like that into a pile of scrap metal. Years ago I stupidly overcharged a CVA pistol similar to that. The gun survived just fine, but my hand and wrist were sore for a week.
I agree. I've seen some other guns on auctions made by this "'Smith" but nothing that looks like this.

It should prove to be an interesting project.

Thanks for your "Pearls" of wisdom!

Walt

Latest posts

Back