• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

underhammer , questions

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thick barrels offer a lot of stability, but remember that weight goes up fast. I have a .54 bench gun with a 36 inch barrel that's 1.5 inch across the flats. It weighs about 35-40 lbs. Granted, it has a huge chunk of wood for a stock, but the weight most comes from that barrel. I think for a bench gun, that's about optimal though. It sits solid yet isn't unmanageable. I haven't shot it yet so I can't tell you how it performs. It's a project gun that isn't quite finished yet.

I had a 1 1/8th by 48" FACTORY built H+A that had the smallst sights I ever saw, if you could put a 50 cal ball size white mark on the black center everytime you saw the white pull the trigger and get the X EVERY TIME, a member here has it now that I can't shoot maybe hell run a pic , I think it was 13lbs and 14oz's. At 60 yards or so Ive never had a gun that could put one ball into the hole of another just over and over. Fred :hatsoff:

GMMMM Can you find a pic of mine on here or do they still go back just a 1/2 yr? Thanks Fred. DAVY HOW ARE YOU DOING!! :hatsoff:

Hey Fred do you mean this one?

2832048.jpg

Hey fred , tell me bout both guns in pic. how long a barrel is the bottom one and what dat laying on the shelf LOL.

hey fred, i'm alive. thanks for the picture glenn. i recognize that bottom rifle. i'd say its about a 48" barrel. i've never shot it as well as you could fred, but i've come very close to ball dia. groups. not bad for a rifle they never made.

I'm thinking the lower peep sight is the lollipop sight. The other one looks like the old Thompson Center sights. :hmm:

Hey WAL 1 Good to see you and GMWW back up here, many thanks GMWW. WAL all you got to do is put a Lyman sight up front and paint that yellow-clear insert black,put tape over the whole and put a good size pin hole in it and you'll be outshooting me in days I'm 100% sure. The shortest barrel I had at the time was???? 32"? What ever stock was, I had John make a real "pocket rifle for me with a 18" barrel and over all with that stock you sent glen its 35" overall and a hell of a shooter. OH ya thats nothing on the :rotf: . Fred :hatsoff: Oh that bac sight is a Pedero ? short ? Sharps sight that was 21 bucks back when I got it new...How long ago was that...

Dave,
I've got a couple of UH project guns down here that need a good home a some TLC, CHEAP!! Give me a holler.
Mark

tapping the barrel for nipple,on a under-hammer , I am thinking it should be drilled through where the end will be just at the end of breech plug and the bottom of the nipple should be flush with the inside of barrel , is this bout right or should i do it different ? just got 1 barrel cant afford to screw up lol
thanks in advance.

that's just about right. It's how I did mine. Where your hammer lands is the deciding factor in nipple location. :thumbsup:

Back