• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Underhammer Flintlock???

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hawkeye1755

54 Cal.
Reaction score
Anyone ever saw a 'Underhammer Flintlock' :hmm:
rdietz02.jpg

:hatsoff:

It kind of makes sence. The the 250 frames a second footage taken at Friendship last June, They filmed one lock being fired upside down. With the lock right side up the sparks floated around for a long time ( 250 frames a second ) before one of them ignited a grain of powder.
With the lock held upside down the powder fell into the shower of sparks and ignited much faster
than the right side up locks. It would be less forgiving than a normal lock, a klatch would relieve you of your prime. Was this a later period
lock ( 1800s ) Good picture, I want one!
:thumbsup:

Have you got more pics, undertaker?
I´m still keen on more...

By the way, a fellow german used to make some.
He used to make them in ´95 or so... :hmm:

However, this was how he made them :hatsoff: :
Calderwood.jpg

romeoh said:
Have you got more pics, undertaker?
I´m still keen on more...

By the way, a fellow german used to make some.
He used to make them in ´95 or so... :hmm:

However, this was how he made them :hatsoff: :
Calderwood.jpg

Sorry, no. It was the only pic i found.
That is a fantastic one,romeoh :bow:

:hatsoff:

undertaker,
Quite a while back, at Dixon's gunmaker's faire, there was a newly built rifle in underhammer flint. Perhaps he copied an original from somewhere. It is an intriguing idea.
volatpluvia

grzrob,
I was there. It was 5000 frames per second. :shocked2: Just thought you would want to know. :v It was a lot of fun.
volatpluvia

volatpluvia said:
grzrob,
I was there. It was 5000 frames per second. :shocked2: Just thought you would want to know. :v It was a lot of fun.
volatpluvia

Vol's right - it was 5000 fps - and it was a lot of fun. We figure the prime had time to fall maybe a mm before it ignited.

Regards,
Pletch

i seem to recall FW telling me about the time somebody was shooting an underhammer flinter from the bench and had several non-ignitions. (dumping the prime each time). then it went off on the next try - lighting the powder all over the bench! :haha:

An Underhammer Flintlock sounds like a neat idea until you consider where you elbow and forearm are located when you shoot off-hand. :hmm:

As an action for Slug guns, or bench guns of any type, where you can move your forearm back to help cradle to buttstock of the rifle, and out of the way of any burning powder, it works. The hot part of the flame is always at the top, and with an underhammer flint ignition, you actually are letting normal laws of physics ( heat rises) work to speed up and insure ignition. Just remember to brush any unburned powder off the bench before you fire the next shot. Gravity is also still at work. :hmm: :hatsoff:

An Underhammer Flintlock sounds like a neat idea until you consider where you elbow and forearm are located when you shoot off-hand.

I have seen photos of underhammers in historical books, but all were pistols. They probably didn't make any longarms due to the concerns that you expressed.

flash_in_the_pan said:
An Underhammer Flintlock sounds like a neat idea until you consider where you elbow and forearm are located when you shoot off-hand.

I have seen photos of underhammers in historical books, but all were pistols. They probably didn't make any longarms due to the concerns that you expressed.
PC270108.jpg

Here's one that dates back to 1740's.

Im back out of hospital tonight to keep a eye on ya till 6:45 am for a MRI. I had them all go off once Deer Creek sent me that CVA flinter rifle, it wouldnt fire faceing up for a while ( new guy messing up) now the little box lock center hammer from DC if they have them or one from Dixie I just drilled 2 holes to put the hammer in the top and turned the grips upside down and that sucker went off every time NOW WARNNING "DON'T get your face to close, the spark sets it off fast and you have burnning powder comeing up both sides :rotf: did I learn the hard way,?? ya, can't even guess how they felt way back when..with a lock like a bess! :shocked2: Fred :hatsoff:

Back