• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Travis (The Alamo) gun question..

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Hey everybody. I have a quick question for all the flinter experts out there... I caught "The Alamo" on AMC the other night and I was wondering about that double barrel flinter that (Lt)Colonel Willam Travis (played by Patrick Wilson) was sporting.... Just how PC is that? Were they commonly available in 1839? Does anyone out there own one? If so, can you post a picture to share?
Thanks in advance for any info.

If I remember correctly that was a Pedersoli replica that he used for the film, as told to me by one of the armorers on the film. Shotguns were supposedly the arm that Travis and all mounted Texas calvary used as a long arm! :thumbsup:

Davy

Double barreled rifle guns were there at this time.
They had them in the rev war many years earlier.
They were not common by any means but they were there. Timothy Murphy was said to have shot General Simon Fraser with a double barreled rifle
gun. There may have been more swivel breach rifles
than double barrel rifles. Not sure, just pulling stuff off the top of my head, not from the other end!
:bow:

Thanks fellas. I knew I could count on you guys for info. I'll see if I can find one at Dixie Guns Works.... I wouldn't mind having one of those in the safe!!

travshot.jpg

Davy

Are we sure that's a rock-lock? From that angle, and from what I thought when I watched the movie, it looks one heckuva lot like my percussion 12 ga. SxS. Could easily be wrong, of course...

It's a rock-lock. After watching that movie a jillion times, I double-checked anyway. It's a flinter allright.

Back