• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trapper pistol?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dirty Steve

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Greetings

As I move toward traditional muzzle loading I have a real hankering for a single shot BP pistol. Looked online so far at Lyman GP and the Traditions Trapper. Held a Trapper Flintlock at my local Gander Mtn but did not feel inclinced to go flint lock as of yet. My purpose for the gun would initially be un-organized target shooting with hopes of taking a deer some day. Traditions has a Trapper Deluxe Pistol that has caught my eye. Anyone have any experience specifically with this version of the Traditions Trapper Deluxe Pistol? Standard Trapper? My experience with percussion is limited. Have a T/C Greyhawk that I've been sighting in for late BP season in NY. All opinions appreciated.

Link: http://www.traditionsfirearms.com/eshop/10Expand.asp?ProductCode=P1130

For some reason the nickel and laminate speak to me.

Thanks in advance,

Steve

Last edited by a moderator:
:hmm: If you are planning on using that Trapper model amongst serious BP people---it's not the one I would personally want. The laminate stock and the nickel finish takes a bit of the "aunthenticity" away from the gun. I have experience with the Trapper and consider it to be an accurate gun---the rear sight needs to be widened a bit as I did to better accomodate the front sight. The double set trigger, while not a Siler trigger is certainly a very good trigger. I never had a problem with the gun and did shoot it quite often. Frankly I don't like the laminate stock and prefer a blued or browned finish. :wink:

I've owned a brace of the original flintlock trappers for a number of years and have really enjoyed shooting them. It's amazing but with a nice tight clean 50 cal round ball over 35 grains of fffg, I can get better accuracy at 20 yards with the trappers then I can with my S&W ultralight 38 or even at times my SA 1911 depending on the ammo. They are a ton of fun.

I built the trapper kit a few months ago. I've only probally shot it 15 times or so but from what I can tell it's crazy accurate at 25yrds and fun to shoot too. :wink:

I loved my Trapper, I did grind off the the grip spur to give it more of a traditional look/feel but it shot great.

Belive it or not its not the spur that makes it not authentic the spur has valadation.If if it's not totaly correct. Check out this link. http://images.google.com/imgres?im...aw+handle+dueling+pistol&gbv=2&hl=en&ie=UTF-8
Its the nickel and laminate that makes it not authentic! True BP men would frown at the nickel and laminate. For that price you can probably come close to gettting into a wood stock. Then again it's whatever blows up your skirt, afterall it's your skirt! :wink:

I shoot a Trapper percussion regularly. It gets shot side by side with a T/C Patriot quite often and I have found that the Trapper is easily as accurate as the Patriot but with a better trigger. The Patriot has better balance and fits my hand better, but the Trapper's heavy muzzle is very stable offhand. The Trapper sights are fine enough for superb accuracy also. I would recommend the Trapper without hesitation. Having shot it alongside the Lyman Plains Pistol, it will outshoot the Lyman all day long.

The Deluxe model has nothing "extra" to offer over the normal model. The only difference is aesthetics. The barrel is nickel plated and the stock is made from laminated wood. The gun is aimed at the "modern muzzleloader" market and is an attrocity as far as I'm concerned.

I have had a Trapper Pistol for a while, and they are fine shooters. I have taken it often when I deer hunt and at a reasonable range would not be afraid to try and take one with it. Very accurate!

Willisburg

I am shocked that anyone buys the laminated trapper. Tradtionalists will think it an abomination (as you have seen here) and the modern crown must surely prefer fiber optic sights and a more modern lock. But to each his own.

Pasquenel said:
:hmm: If you are planning on using that Trapper model amongst serious BP people---it's not the one I would personally want. The laminate stock and the nickel finish takes a bit of the "aunthenticity" away from the gun. I have experience with the Trapper and consider it to be an accurate gun---the rear sight needs to be widened a bit as I did to better accomodate the front sight. The double set trigger, while not a Siler trigger is certainly a very good trigger. I never had a problem with the gun and did shoot it quite often. Frankly I don't like the laminate stock and prefer a blued or browned finish. :wink:

What is the correct load for a pistol in your avitar?45 percussion?I have the rifle,the pistol and the philly derringer now.

:v I figured the deluxe version of the Trapper would cause mixed emotions here. The orginal/traditional version of the Trapper is $10.00 less and I ordered it 10/31/08:wink:
So onto the next and most serious question. I've never shot one of these! I understand from Traditions online manual- FFFG or 3F is the powder of choice. I have some experience with loose BP but only in larger measurements. I used to shoot 110 grains of loose Pyrodex when I bought my first muzzleloader. Traditions lists the appropriate charge from 20-25 grains to max of 45 grains. My powder measure starts at 50 grains. Any suggestions for where to find quality shooting supplies such as powder measures, patches, and ball?
Also need input on how to carry in a hunting situation. I've been looking for a shoulder holster of sorts. Is some type of flap holster perferred? Dixie has these- http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_98_528&products_id=4182
I'm not sure if this is the way I'd want carry this gun though.
I've got lots of questions. If you've got info/personal experience I sure would apprectiate any and all input.

Thanks,

Steve

You might consider a holster for a TC Contender.
eBay lists several models for either the 10"-12" barrel or the 14"-16".

Just do an eBay search for "hoster thompson contender" and some results should appear.
If not here's some item numbers:

Super 14" without strap: 360104563216
10"-12" Bandolier: 330273797122
14"-16" Bandolier: 330273977195

Do you have access to an empty .38 special case. They hold about 22 grains of 3f, which would be a good place to start.
You're going to love this gun. :wink:

I use one of those holsters you were wondering about and like it. I use it on both my trapper pistol as well as a plains model that I usually carry when out in the boonies. It protects the hammer well and I like the cross draw feature.

Also, I use about 30 grains of FFFg and find it quite sufficent. However, alot of folks use 20-25 grains and find that good too. Experiment.

Back