• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Trade knife set

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Found some old tobacco stakes in my old barn from the 1800s.
Used them for knife handles.
Got the blades (solingen) from crazy crow.
Tried to make as rustic as I could.
knifes003.jpg
knifes002.jpg

Howdy...nice lookin set of knives.You know, I think those stakes are kinda rare and fetch a good price at the antique markets, at least up here anyway...saw a fellow selling them as genuine antique "tobacco stake- walking sticks" too...just varnished them and sold them for about $35 each.

I have relatives your way maybe, in the Boone Nat.Forest anyway...back in the mountains around Manchester/Barbourville...we saved back some nice hickory tobacco sticks from their big old tobacco barn as family hierlooms...have to admit it looks like they work up into nice knife handles though too...

T.C.Albert

Annnnnnnnnnnnnnntique. :shocked2: :shocked2: :shocked2: :shocked2: :shocked2:
I think I wont be giving away any more sticks.
Ive got about 400 left.

Did you here about the guy in Scotland that found hundreds of cases of cigars in his cellar.
They were using them to start fires in the fireplace.
It turns out his great great grandfather had bought them in the U.S. in 1861 from a southern tobacco plantation.They were in perfect condition.
They sold for one hundred thousand dollars per cigar.Or a case for one milloin dollars.

Tom
While the tobacco stakes are still fairly common in Southren Ohio I don't see as many as I did when I was a kid and everyone was raising at least some tobacco.
I just got the tobacco peg (used when transplanting the plants), tobacco tomahawk, and tobacco spear that my great-grand father and grand father used. I used them myself back in the 60's when we were still growing tobacco. I gues I should go and get some of the stakes too, there is still proably over a thousand laid up in the old barn.

Regards, Dave

Back