• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tomahawk

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

anvil1231

40 Cal.
Reaction score
here is one I recently finished. It was forged from a 16 oz ball peen hammer. anvil
IMG_0917.jpg

Anvil,
Very nice job! Ball peen hammer :hmm:Is that a common practice among forgers?
snake-eyes :hatsoff:

Great looking hawk and work!

A lot of people re-forge hammer heads. They are made of good tool steel, and that handle eye is already punched! Ballpeen hammers make very good spike hawks. Claw hammers with the square eye make great small adzes like bowl makers adzes - clip the claws off and forge the striking head to the shape you want. Again, that handle eye is alread done for you, and the square eye shape is traditional for an adze.

The book Tomahawks Illustraded by Rober Kuck shows a spike hawk on page 67 that shows all the classic ballpeen hammer head shape in the eye area. And another on page 76. The book has great pictures, but almost nothing for dates and documentation.

yhs
Mike Ameling

p.s. Ballpeen hammer heads are also great for converting into handled tools in the shop - punches, chisels, fullers, texturing stamps, etc. Re-shape one end to the shape of tool you want, and the other end becomes the top part you hit with your striking hammer (or treadle hammer).

Do me a favor and describe how you tempered the head and pike. Bright read heat with oil quench?
I've been working on simular things made from railroad spikes. Temping is allways the tricky part.

Regards

anvil1231 said:
here is one I recently finished. It was forged from a 16 oz ball peen hammer. anvil

Just curious, was the blade formed from the ball and the spike from the peen, or the other way around?

The way I temper is by heating the edge and the spike til they will not stick to a magnet (usally not quite a bright red)then quench in transmission fluid. polish the edge a little and heat just behind were I heated before until I have a straw or blue color depending how thick the blade is. Straw being a harder temper than blue. I use a lot of RR spikes for knives and hawks they are a low medium carbon. They will get sharp but will not hold a good edge without case hardening with sure hard or kwik hard hardening powder aviable at most large welding suppliers. Once I harden the rr spikes I don not draw the temper back To answer your question musketman the spike is the ball the hammer is the blade. anvil

Back