• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Throwing Block?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know about the "best" but what I have been using is hemlock. I had a couple of trees die from the wooly agelid. burned the branches and cut up the trunks into five foot sections. I chainsaw them in half vertically and use the slabs as throwing blocks.
Pete

I use ash, because it was available. I would say anything will work, (except maybe something like iron wood :idunno: ) so use what you have.

Willow is recommended, like Preacher I've had good luck with Ash.
Pine is fine, but it get's punky soon.
You can stick in a hardwood but they are tough on blades and edges, (a dickens to pull a hawk from an Oak block)

Thanks,I was wondering if soft wood would be better than hard wood. I knew it would be easier to stick into,but wasn't sure how long it would last. Just my luck most of what I have here is hard wood.

Depending on your location use what is available. I use cottonwood. It lasts a long time and is even better if the blocks are a little wet. When we used to put on the Rocky Mountain Knife and Hawk Challenge in Creede, CO we also used cootonwood. Pine and spurce splits to easy and is harder to stick your knife and hawk.
Howls

Oh if you can find a big pine, 16-18" or better and cut the block 12" thick or more you can get a full season maybe two out of it.
The idea is to cut it long, then "face it" as the end get's punky.
I've seen the tips break off good throwing knives in hard wood.

SMO...Cottonwood works well..min 12" thick...

Here's one my 2 son's and there buddies pounded on for a couple years using nothing but throwing axes...

IMG_1139.jpg

here's what the wife does to it for winter..
IMG_1151.jpg

here's the latest replacement..cottonwood..."warning" get help getting it up they can be heavy!

IMG_22451.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
another vote for cottonwood they last a long time and dont split easly.

when I was at alafia n florida, someone mentioned a block from a local tree that was the best block you could get cause it stayed wet..sorta self sealing..dang if i can remember which it was,,anyone heard of that? also hear willow is real good

I use a six pack. When I see a tree cutter in the naborhood I buy a sixpack hand it to him and say "I sure would like three or four 6" rounds from near the bottem of that trunk, droped off in that yard down there. :wink:

It only didn't work once, He didn't drink, I went and got him a big Mac & a coke :grin: Had to drink the beer my own self :idunno:

Here in Ohio I use creek willow. Works real good. One block out of Chinese Elm lasted the longest. Dilly

Thanks again Guys for all the tips. I mostly have hardwoods here on my place that are the correct size.It appears all the cottonwoods and pines are to small cause I know i'm going to need a big target. :haha: The only creek willow I have are really small as well. I'm thinking cedar would last a long time and it's a soft wood,has anyone used cedar before.We have eastern red cedar here and some get rather large. :idunno:

Latest posts

Back