• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thoughts on who made this 1861

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Pull the barrel if its a repro makers mark normally on the underside, that being said looks like an armisport to me. Nice rifle you may be surprised by accuracy though if you plan to shoot minies in it mine cant hit the broad side of a barn and needs relined

I seem to remember H&R making these.
I remember those having case colors on the lock.

Well, it's not a 1861, it's an 1863. The BBL has been glass bedded. That usually the sign of being a Skirmishers gun. Lots of guys in the N-SSA build guns, and glass bed the BBLs. Lots of those guys build very nice guns.

The hammer looks to be an original, along with the BBL bands, and butt plate, and nose cap. It could have original parts in the lock also. The lock plate is most likely a Repro of some kind. That might be an original BBl, that has been relined. How is the bore,??.

If you plan to shoot minnies in it you will have to find out the bore size. The best way to do that is with pin gages ( the negative pins). Then you want to size your minnies at 1-2 thousands under bore size. So if you size the bore at say .577, you want a minnie to be .575-.576. Use only pure soft lead. Wheel weights won't work. Also use good lube on the minnies.
Thats a nice musket. Good Find.

Dave

Back