• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The little mystery smoothbore.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I knew who Eterry was talking about, so I didn't say anything, but if you're not familiar with him and you're going to do a search, it's Turner Kirkland (founder of Dixie Gun Works). :thumb:

Yes it is Belgium made and yes T. Kirkland maybe imported those guns to the US.

Originally those cheap guns have been made between 1900 and 1920 for the African market. In those days, the Colonial Govt. allow the "natives" only smoothbores with no rear sight on it.

I have heard the story, that T. Kirkland imported such guns he ordered in Belgium and they have been made up form left over parts from the African Trade "smoothies", but cannot proof that in any way - it might be "just a stroy".

EDIT:
I some of the African Colonies, the gun law allowed only flintlock smoothbores. Thats why in the 1900 to 1920s many then here in Europe obsolete Percussion guns (eg Enfield P53/56/61, Austrian Lorenz and so on) have been altered to smoothbores (which results in various calibers) and converted them to flintlock.
25 years ago, I have seen one of the P56 Endfields converted that way. Barrels was bored out and the flintlock was of poor quality with NO bridle.

Last edited:
You guys are a cauldron of wisdom for sure! I will try that load. I was actually just reading about it a few days ago.
I'll post some photos of it's pattern when I get a chance to take it out behind the house again.
To this day I've yet to see one like it or similar. I just weighed it and it's 3.2lbs

Three point 2 Pounds whatever point 2 is, But sounds just right . .Oh yes some happily lug 7 & 9 pounds rifles about but in my view & circumstances your game pops up fleetingly & close on .And your 3 pounds gun is up to it & your not knackered carrying the dead weight uselessly .My maxim has been 'If your going to carry any weight made it edible ' I once recorded I had 47 pounds all up including swag, togs, tucker, bower poly, sleep bag, cloath's, gun & flask ect went 13 days much untracked shot a 27" long trout caught a big eel bowled a stag & later a goat .Rifle flint mid 18th provincial 50 cal weight of 5 pounds a trip so wet stock swelled and moved about being maple but went back once dried out . quite easy to make a 7 pound rifle not too simple to make one under 4 pounds . My barrel was / is 26" round swamped wed to a L&R Queen Anne ..Must prevail on skilled E workers to add a pic always a failing with me I regret .
Rudyard

Three point 2 Pounds whatever point 2 is, But sounds just right . .Oh yes some happily lug 7 & 9 pounds rifles about but in my view & circumstances your game pops up fleetingly & close on .And your 3 pounds gun is up to it & your not knackered carrying the dead weight uselessly .My maxim has been 'If your going to carry any weight made it edible ' I once recorded I had 47 pounds all up including swag, togs, tucker, bower poly, sleep bag, cloath's, gun & flask ect went 13 days much untracked shot a 27" long trout caught a big eel bowled a stag & later a goat .Rifle flint mid 18th provincial 50 cal weight of 5 pounds a trip so wet stock swelled and moved about being maple but went back once dried out . quite easy to make a 7 pound rifle not too simple to make one under 4 pounds . My barrel was / is 26" round swamped wed to a L&R Queen Anne ..Must prevail on skilled E workers to add a pic always a failing with me I regret .
Rudyard
3.2 onces = .2lbs......think.

OK with my able assistance of my twenty year old daughter I have pics to illustrate the above post . ,The OP gave 3.2 pounds, Where your ounces come from ? . Don't answer.
The rifle and a few fuzzy pics of field use & camps ( Stuck in the headless Wheellock pic for variety) but that was last day of a 10 day walk The huts where they exist
are much flasher than the old miners hut but rude of flash their home sweet home if most of the longer trip was deemed ' Wilderness ' no tracks or huts hence my lean too' bowers' Note lazy Banjo the dog by the fire on an earlier trip .
Rudyard

Attachments

• !cid_17698b64c759af5c92a1.jpg
    !cid_17698b64c759af5c92a1.jpg
    105.1 KB · Views: 104
  • !cid_17698b67a97d269a1283.jpg
    !cid_17698b67a97d269a1283.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 104
  • !cid_17698b6652136afb5292.jpg
    !cid_17698b6652136afb5292.jpg
    128.7 KB · Views: 103
It appears to be a well made little gun. I'd not be worried about shooting patched ball or bare ball since they weigh less than a good shot load. It would be hard to find a better toting woods gun.

Rudyard
About the weight: You are quite right. My two favorite game guns are European doubles that weigh just under six pounds. They carry, mount and swing so much better than my heavier American doubles. In the field I'd sooner my16 GA Model 12 than my Fox 12 GA. On the water, not so much so.
Does anyone make a flint or percussion double like those European shotguns?

Doesn’t look like one that Turner Kirkland imported to me. As I remember, they weren’t that quality. I would believe someone brought it back from Europe.

OK with my able assistance of my twenty year old daughter I have pics to illustrate the above post . ,The OP gave 3.2 pounds, Where your ounces come from ? . Don't answer.
The rifle and a few fuzzy pics of field use & camps ( Stuck in the headless Wheellock pic for variety) but that was last day of a 10 day walk The huts where they exist
are much flasher than the old miners hut but rude of flash their home sweet home if most of the longer trip was deemed ' Wilderness ' no tracks or huts hence my lean too' bowers' Note lazy Banjo the dog by the fire on an earlier trip .
Rudyard

Rudyard,
Those pics look remarkably like my old friend Jim Hash's buddy Maurice Taylor in New Zealand ; )

Doesn’t look like one that Turner Kirkland imported to me. As I remember, they weren’t that quality. I would believe someone had brought it back from Europe

It was given to me at age 7 by a man who said his brother brought it back from Europe.

Back