• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The lead arrived

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

weirdjack

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Went down to the mailroom this morning and found a USPS Priority box there with my name on it. Apparently, no on tried to deliver it to my office yesterday...hmmm...I wonder why not? Deceptive it was...a package about the size of a notebook, that weighed 25 pounds.
Anyway, I opened it up and there were all the nice little cupcakes of lead. A quick thumbnail test left a deep groove in the surface...yep, it is quite soft. Cool, enough lead to last me a little while.
Sure it was a little more than scrap lead...but that would involve going out, finding a scrap yard that had what I needed, buying the stuff, cutting it up, cleaning it up, etc. But for just a little more than the cost of scrap, it was mailed to me already cleaned and in ingots I can drop in the pot.
I know where I'll be heading when I need more lead.
WJ

but, where and how much? Need more details.
This was basically a followup to my post in the thread "lead" earlier this week...were I posted the purchase info.
I got this lead off of eBay. Something I had not thought of before because I assumed the cost of shipping would be huge. But with shipping being done via the USPS flat-rate Priority Box, it is not much at all. I paid $5.00 shipping...bought the stuff Monday afternoon, it arrived Thursday at 11:00am. I chose not to wait for the auction to progress, but hit the "Buy-It-Now" button. 25 pounds cost me $29.00 + $5.00 shipping. Works out to $1.36 per pound for cleaned soft lead ingots delivered to my door in three days. For me, this beats going to scrap yards. It's a little more expensive than scrap roofing or sheathing from a yard, but I sat on my butt through the whole process and was delivered nice soft lead ready to toss in the pot. Works well for me anyway.
WJ

Too bad you're not my neighbor. I'd give you 25 pounds free.
I get mine from old communications cables we dig up on the AF base.
I have about 300 pounds of ingots right now.

Huntin

Too bad you're not my neighbor. I'd give you 25 pounds free.
I used to get lead free also...from a buddy who worked at a cannery....alas, no more. But I can handle cheap pricing.
Especially when I consider I used a $35 payment that I had received from an eBay sale to pay for the lead. In essence, this was free....since the money I used to buy the lead was payment for a bag of reject slot car tires I sold. I manufacture silicone slot car tires...once a week I sell a bag of the reject tires (the ones that I used to throw away until I found out people would buy them!). This week, that bag of reject tires paid for my lead. Not a bad trade I'd say. :) :)
WJ

How soon ya moveing to Alaska/.. Cause if your gonna leave that lead behind I'd be willing to take some off yer hands :)

woody

No going to Alaska soon enough.
Sorry, taking the lead with me.
I'm working on getting as much as possible. I'd like to be up to 1,000 pounds by fall.
Might not be easy since I have to spend the summer in Iraq.

Huntin

I hear tell if ya run into the right stash over there ya can shoot them round balls made from GOLD! :hmm:

Well be carefull while your over there and keep in touch.
Hope all goes OK for you while you are there. :peace:

Woody

Ahhhh...lead, beutiful lead. I just got about 66 pounds that my brother found at a scrap yard, pure soft lead, already cast into ingots. (they call them "bricks")

The price? $6.50 per 22 pounds! YEAH BABY!!!

:eek:

RAT

Back