• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Caplock Rifle, by Ned Roberts.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RussB

45 Cal.
Reaction score
For those of you who may be interested, and would like to add an absolute Classic book to your collection, I found this on eBay.

I did not notice a "Reserve", so this may be chance to pick up one at a reasonable price....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=268&item=6938358075&rd=1

This particular type of hard bound book is hard to find, at best, and when you do find it, they want an arm and two or three legs for it. The price will probably remain reasonable unless I should bid on it....then it will go crazy! My experience with eBay is much less than desireable, yours may be better.
I think it's purpose would be better served if one of us got it instead of a dealer, who would just resale it.

Russ

Got two copies, one is dated 1944. Well worth reading again and again.

Hi Plumb Center, Welcome!

Sunnyside, eh...One would think the name is a misnomer here in Wash. state, but I've been there..it's a very nice place, and it don't rain near as much! :crackup:

I've even done a little bird hunting over in the Rattlesnake, you folks have Mearns, and Valley Quail that are as big as Banty Roosters over that way. Nice place.

Welcome to the forum, make yourself at home. Nice place to discuss those smoke poles that so many have become addicted to.

Russ

Thanks RussB,
Got my copy of "The Muzzleloading Cap Lock Rifle", (Ned H. Roberts) by mail today. A really great book that I didnt know about before your post :master:. A lot regarding target shooting, my main interest. :peace:
ARILAR :: :thumbsup:

Thanks RussB,
Got my copy of "The Muzzleloading Cap Lock Rifle", (Ned H. Roberts) by mail today. A really great book that I didnt know about before your post :master:. A lot regarding target shooting, my main interest. :peace:

Great ARILAR!
Just a bit more "useful, I hope" information about that book.

I guess there were several "copies", "issues", or "volumes", of this book printed. My own is the more simple versions, just a hard cover, inside a paper jacket sleve. Just keep in mind the contents is the same in every one of them.

I have seen a red velvety / leatherly looking volume of this same book go for over $500.00 at gun shows. I "think" the one that was pictured in this sale was one that normally goes for around $125 / $150...it appeared to be the brown copy with the raised lettering, but the picture wasn't good enough, and the description didn't say, and since I allready own one I didn't bother to ask.

Some of the fellows have said they paid as little as $25.00 / $30.00 for their copy...I think that's great. I paid $75.00 for my copy and felt lucky to get it. But that was back before the internet, and eBay, and[url] Amazon.com[/url], and all the other good places we have available to us today. That $75.00 in 1980 money would probably be $100 or so today, so I guess I got "ripped" pretty good....but I got the book!

Anyway, all the different versions, or copies are all the same inside, just the covering changes the "status" of the book. I would like very much to own a nice leather bound copy for my library, but my plain jane version has served me quite well, and over the years I guess I have read. and gone back to this book more often than any other.......it's just the way life is.

Russ

Last edited by a moderator:
Well Russ,
Nowadays I think I am hunting for books more than rifles. Always happy to find more useful books and Ned Roberts belongs to that category for sure!
I dont really dare to get things from auctions that I cant physically visit, specially if there is an ocean in between.
I got my copy from a second-hand bookshop in New York. It happened to be the nice-looking leatherbound print from 1996 and is a reprint from 1944 edition. Actually, the first edition came 1940 but 1944-edition was revised and ENLARGED! The most interesting part, that was included with 50 pages, were "Some Noted Makers of Muzzle-loading Rifles and Their Rifles".
The first 1940 edition seems to have been reprinted in later years (maybe beginning of 1990s) by Wolfe Publishing Company in Prescott, Arizona. So maybe you could avoid that reprint if you want the chapter about the makers.
My book costed $54 delivered to my door and I had gladly paid that for any edition or binding :imo:

Here in Sweden I am used to pay rather much for books. For instance, The book "The Flintlock" by Torsten Lenk originally published in swedish ranks from $120-$800 depending on binding and edition if you want the swedish . They all carry the same contents. I choiced a $150 version (hard-cover).

You did GOOD! You did REAL GOOD!

The price of such items is tremendously inflated in places like Gun Shops, Gun Shows, and where ever guns are sold or displayed.
Your book sounds very much like the ones that are typically sold for $125.00 plus. And, you're right, one never has enough books.

Russ

Back