• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Box O' Truth - 2 .45 Single Shot BP Pistols

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I had to chuckle at using 30 grains of black powder in a CVA Derringer.

It is too bad he didn't have a .50 cal rifle with him to shoot jugs with.
At the distance he was shooting several of those jugs would have been blown apart with a stout .50 caliber load and in my own deprived way I kinda enjoy watching people take a bath. Especially when it is unexpected. :rotf:

back in the day you have to remember that no antibiotics were available and if a shot went into the vitals the poor recepient was doomed to a very slow and agonizing death likely even if the ball/slug could be dug out.
if into soft tissue in a member the only alternative was amputation - hopefully clean and quick if a bone was busted or time was spent before seeing a sawbones the poor 'shotie' was doomed all the same.
bad situation for someone shot w/BP pistol. maybe that's why folks were so polite? fear of slow agonizing death?

-----YEAH---ever notice in the TV westerns when someone gets shot in the shoulder, how they always say its only a shoulder wound--YEAH RIGHT----- :bull: :bull: :bull:

Howdy!

Not meaning to be morbid, or disrespectful to a fallen President, but wasn't this the kind of gun Lincoln was shot with? I know he was shot in the head, but didn't he survive for a while. I am just wondering what the powder charge in Boothe's gun might have been.

But then again, I think RFK lived for several hours after being shot in the head at close range with a .22.

I think that derringer can do some real damage to vital organs from across the table.

James

No doubt about it. That .44 cal ball can do some serious damage.

Yes, Lincoln was shot with a Deringer but there are Deringers and there are Derringers.

The pistol that was used to shoot Lincoln was quite a bit smaller than the CVA version shown in the vidio. The caliber was about the same though.

Back