• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Beast!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KABAR2

40 Cal.
Reaction score
Well some people build bowling ball mortars......

well the mark has been set higher by a couple of fellows in Colorado!

They have built a scale model of Colonel Paixhans Monster mortar- 1840's

the projo's are concrete filled 5 gallon water bottles......... YES I SAID WATER BOTTLES

right now it is on a car carrying trailer to move it out to test, it is going to a shoot in Montana this

weekend and will be on terrafirma.........

Here is a link to the video.....

http://img20.imageshack.us/i/cimg00231.mp4/
Click to enlarge the small image.

Allen

WOW...AWESOME...
what kind of powder charge to get that much concrete moving???
also...I cant get any "sound" on the vid???

I'll upset some people with this, but here goes:

There's only one way to shoot artillery, and that is "professionally". By that I mean in a professional manner. No goofing around, no second hand materials, no untrained crew members, no cobbled together procedures or projectiles.
What little I see in this video snippet doesn't make muster.

The eletists speaks...so if they get a proper round ball and French uniforms they would be acceptable?

What do you know about the mortar? Not much I bet.

The amount of research and engineering that goes into the artillery those guys makes boggles the mind. I would feel safe near anything they fire. While they may not dress the part their attention to detail is without peer. :thumbsup:

trent/OH said:

There's only one way to shoot artillery, and that is "professionally". By that I mean in a professional manner. No goofing around, no second hand materials, no untrained crew members, no cobbled together procedures or projectiles.

Upset no..... you are entitled to your opinion...
But with your attitude perhaps none of us should own cannon
and only true military organizations be
allowed to own and fire them........

What you opinion is based on I have no idea,

since no loading procedures are shown only the firing,
yes the projectiles are not iron but they
were well though out and reinforced.

The two gentlemen involved in this project are
retired Aero-space engineers. From start to finish
it took them about 6 to 8 months to build this,
and it is not "Cobbled together" sound engineering
went into it. and yes they are professionals.

Allen

trent/OH said:

I'm not sure what you mean as I didn't see any loading, goofing around, crew members(trained or untrained), or procedures... only the projectile.

Cement filled pop cans have been used as mortar projectiles for years with some groups. I know as I've used them in the past with my 3/4 scale cohorn.

Squire Robin said:
trent/OH said:
There's only one way to shoot artillery, and that is "professionally".

Bloomin' lucky you didn't see my movie :rotf:

Which one Squire? :rotf: :haha:

By the by, how is your fuse supply holding out? Burn through it yet?

cp.gif

trent/OH said:

I'll bet you think these guys have cat poop for brains. I am not a cannoneer, but I have witnesswed several reinactments. Believe me, they do not fool around. There is no place for it, either by the crew or innocent by-standers.

If you refered "cobbled together" as to shooting concrete, what do you think they should use, explosive artilary rounds? :youcrazy:

trent/OH said:
Seems so far the only feathers that have been ruffled are yours. The video showed a cannon being fired. It did not show anyone being non professional. Also from my view of the cannon on the video wasn't clear enough to make such a statement as being cobbled.

Looked pretty cool to me,musta missed it but I didn't see any one foolin around. :idunno:

what cal is it, and what is it, just got to know. looks like a BLAST to shoot, got to love making smoke! BTW how much powder do it take, for a full charge.

The Monstre Mortar is 2/5 scale and has an 11 inch bore. I don't know how much powder they were using, but it was substantial.

The Dictator model fired a 2.6 inch round ball are alternatively a pop can full of cement.

If you haven't figured it out yet if you double click on that "Mortars at the Montana shoot" sign it will open up the video.

now that is what i call making smoke!, i was wanting to know what cal squire robin's rifle is, i know it is a wall gun, looks like a monster, and must be fun to shoot, i love big guns, never knew rifles could be that big until i got into bp. i am surprised at the cal's one can hold and shoot.

Back