• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

The Alamo...on AMC

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What i really liked about the movie was the 'human' aspect. They were portrayed as real people with real character flaws and real human reactions, as apposed to a bunch of fearless superheroes. Oddly enough last time i watched it i too fell asleep before the fall lol I think a lil too much of a frosty cold beverage had a hand in that though :grin:

Personally, I really enjoyed the movie, especially Mr. Thornton. He did have a slight resemblance to Crockett. I've always thought that the older Elvis Presley was a near ringer, though!

TexiKan said:
Not so sure if I can believe that "fiddler on the roof" stuff, tho. Or that Crockett was the last one alive.

TexiKan

The part about Crockett being alive is based on the de la Pena manuscript. There is a whole other controversy on whether or not that is genuine.

I 'spect the fiddler on the roof is pure hollyweird.

The de la Pena papers are a whole nuther can of worms we do NOT wanna open here!

All in all the fiddle scene added some spice to the film though .. real or contrived! Afterall its a movie folks! :hmm: :grin:

Davy

Davy said:
jbg said:
Sissy! :wink:

Two bit dandy! :shocked2: :grin:

Davy

I shall rise to your challenge, sir! A 1000 word essay shall follow on the de la Pena papers. And you thought the Mongo Bowie debate was ugly. :grin:

This will be the first sentence: Oscar de La Pena is a famous Mexican boxer...

i'm only joking

My favorites are The Last of the Mohegans - Daniel Day Lewis Version, and Glory.
I watch them over and over again.

Yep. I liked the History Channel's series on The Revolutionary War too. Wish somebody would do a first rate historical series on the F&I War--this type of program is great on a cold winter night.

[[Dennis Quaid - he has one method of acting: always ****** about something that nobody else is. It's a yawner]]
in the movie when Houston got his white horse shot out from under him,, I was the guy who ran up and gave him my horse and helped him on.. he was shot in the leg.. you know he never even said thank you either..
:rotf:

Thats cool RickD, (I know a few others that were in the film as well! I do know many who put there heart and soul into its production! :grin:

Davy

"Wish somebody would do a first rate historical series on the F&I War--this type of program is great on a cold winter night. "

The French and Indian WArs are to Early American History as the Korean War or WW1 are to modern American History - almost forgotten. But I love the French & Indian Wars period also and the Winter time is a good time to read about them.
(Its a good time to read Norse Sagas too, but that is another story!!)

I liked this version. Both versions have their place in the vault. I recently found the John Wayne version in the sale bin at Wally World for
$5. I had not watched it for many a year so I popped it in right away. I also watched the documentary of how John Wayne made the film. I have a question for all of you Texas boys who are a wealth of knowledge on The Alamo and it's films.
Why did big John not allow ramrods in 95 % of the flintlocks in the film? I did not catch this as a kid but now after over 30 years of muzzle loading
those shots of the wall, with all them barrels hanging out and nary a ramrod between them sure looked squirrely to me! :thumbsup:

grzrob,

If you've read the whole thread you've already seen my great gripe about the 2004 Alamo Movie. Otherwise it is wonderfully accurate if you agree with Del La Pena. I also just picked up the Waynamo DVD and got quite a kick from it.

Jay

I am not sure but it could be that the ramrods were removed so that they could not be left in the barrels & mistakingly fired by the guns using blanks as a charge. I know many reenactments do this as a safety precaution. Ramrods make nasty spears .. intentional or not. The blank powder charges are just dropped down the barrel to fire .. no ramrod needed for these events.

Also IMHO opinion the new Alamo 2004 for was a different and more somber, accurate rendition of the events that take place on that March 6th day. I am NOT a De la Pena fan, but the film otherwise is pretty darn accurate (except the church being moved up :shake: ) Just a different time and circumstance than Waynes film ( which I trully love best.

Davy

Davy,

I read the book and still can't subscribe to that version of David's demise either. :hmm: I cast my lot with thee it appears. :thumbsup:

Jay

Because they weren't flinters or percs for that matter. They were trapdoor Springfields with a fake aluminum lock attached to the hammer to make them look like flinters.
Only the main stars had true flintlocks for closeups. But if you look carefully in the scene where Crockett is firing from the stockade wall, you'll see the trapdoor action on the rifle next to him.
As a side note, they sold those Springfields for $70.00 after the movie wrapped. A friend of mine bought on -- wish I had. We had a blast shooting it at feral dogs and coyotes in his Uncle Happy Shahan's pasture. :wink:

According to some folks who should know such things .. the Crockett excerpt of the de la Pena manuscript was of different ink and paper and was not a part of the original entry. I simply do not know myself .. but I would be distrustful of it under the circumstances. :hmm:

Parsons is correct on the use of Springfield rifles in that and many other historical films at the time... but even those had steel ramrods at one time I do believe, at least the ones I have personally handled! I too would have liked to have owned one for $70!

Davy :thumbsup: :shocked2:

The trapdoors show up in many old movies. The close ups of the fake lock make me cringe! No matter how they dress them up you can't hide that hump! I have an original trapdoor that I love to shoot, it is my favorite "modern gun" :thumbsup:

Back