• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Thanksgiving Traditions That People Don't Understand

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually we ALL have had Acorn Squash pie, and few have actually had pumpkin pie... those that have had "pumpkin pie" at all that is...

The "pumpkin" filling most folks use is from a can. Libby's is #1. The pumpkin that is in that can is NOT a pumpkin..., it's a type of acorn squash that looks like a pumpkin. By the time anybody spotted the problem, that flavor of canned "pumpkin" had cornered the market, and most companies that followed HAD to use the same acorn squash because that was the flavor the bakers want.

SO if you've never had a pumpkin pie made from scratch from an actual pumpkin... you have never had pumpkin pie.

🤯

LD
Yes, Libby's uses the Dickenson Squash but even pumpkins are part of the squash family, they're a winter squash. I fell for that "pumpkin is not a squash" urban myth back when it first came out.

pumpkins are a squash - Google Search

So folks this is under Camp Cooking, so....,

Since my wife isn't from The States, we have some side dishes that aren't common, like Guyana meat patties, or corn pudding.

OH and since we're on the topic of Thanksgiving...

STUFFING... was cooked within the bird, and juices from the bird then become part of that dish

DRESSING..., does not get cooked within the bird, and may or may not have juice/grease from the bird (so "stovetop stuffing" is actually a dressing...

Yes, Libby's uses the Dickenson Squash but even pumpkins are part of the squash family, they're a winter squash. I fell for that "pumpkin is not a squash" urban myth back when it first came out.

pumpkins are a squash - Google Search

Well whomever was saying "pumpkin is not a squash" was just silly. Dickenson pumpkin is not a pumpkin...

A Zucchini is not a pumpkin, but is a squash...,
A Butternut squash is a Winter squash, but is not a pumpkin....
An Acorn squash is a Winter squash, but is not a pumpkin...,
Spaghetti squash is a Winter squash, but is not a pumpkin...,
A Kabocha is a Winter squash, but is not a pumpkin...,
A Dickenson is a type of Acorn Squash, so it's a Winter squash, but is also not a pumpkin ... ;)

LD

Since my wife isn't from The States, we have some side dishes that aren't common, like Guyana meat patties, or corn pudding.

STUFFING... was cooked within the bird, and juices from the bird then become part of that dish

DRESSING..., does not get cooked within the bird, and may or may not have juice/grease from the bird (so "stovetop stuffing" is actually a dressing...

Well whomever was saying "pumpkin is not a squash" was just silly. Dickenson pumpkin is not a pumpkin...

A Dickenson is a type of Acorn Squash, so it's a Winter squash, but is also not a pumpkin ... ;)

LD
Squash or pumpkin pie average Joe wouldn’t know the difference, all the flavors are the spices used.

LD
If you read the links you find that the Dickerson is called both a squash and a pumpkin from a scientific point of view. There are four species of squash, all related and pumpkin is just one of those relations.

Take about 8 seasoned up Cornish game hens on a rotisserie over a slow cooking maple, oak, and peach wood fire. With all the trimmins too, and a few adult beverages. Around noon here in Kentucky we all dial our radios in to 93.3 WDNS to listen to Alice's Restaurant which has been an old tradition for many years. Long damn song but a good one.
Since the Dump is CLOSED on THANKSGIVING,,,,,,,YOU ain't been , till you been to THANKSGIVING at ALICE'S RESTURANT .....Be Safe >>>>>>>>>>Wally

My mom use to make the best round dressing balls there were just the right amount of sage..but what took the to me the grand prize was her oyster casserole..layers of crackers oysters butter ...milk and seasoning... Man you talking about good...those were the days ....

All the Thanksgiving dinner comments bring back treasured memories!
Many years ago, while still living in Virginia, we were invited to a friend's family, Thanksgiving dinner. The event was located on a property in West Virginia, near Franklin, West Virginia, owned by this friend. It was a former "Poor House," that was the living quarters (prisons) for people who couldn't pay their debts.
What made this dinner so memorable? We dined in the former caretakers house that lacked electricity, indoor plumbing and in-house running water. Light was from old, oil lamps.
The dinner was cooked on an original, wood burning stove that also served to help heat the house. Water was from a second building that housed the artesian well.
There were no TV, no football games.
The turkey was worth the wait. Somehow, the wood stove added a flavor and texture that bested the modern-cooked turkeys we have had.
Dinner was followed by smoking corncob pipes supplied by our host and sampling some adult beverages, all around the fireplace.
Outhouses were, of course, outside.
It was the most "down home," comfortable, satisfying Thanksgiving dinner we have ever had.

(We learned that during the Winter, the outhouses were too far away from the house. In the Summer, the same outhouse was too close.)
Ron

My mom use to make the best round dressing balls there were just the right amount of sage..but what took the to me the grand prize was her oyster casserole..layers of crackers oysters butter ...milk and seasoning... Man you talking about good...those were the days ....
As much as I enjoy my wife's cooking, momma's is still the best 50 years later.

Here's to momma's memories on Thanksgiving day

Prices of everything have gone through the roof! The only ray of hope I have seen is at our local ,"Food Lion" store, they had frozen turkeys for .29 a pound? I liked to have fell out of my chair when I read their ad in our local paper. I am wondering if someone made a mistake? The problem is my wife had already bought our turkey.
At that price, I'd run like the wind down there and stock up!!!:horseback:
:horseback:

All the Thanksgiving dinner comments bring back treasured memories!
Many years ago, while still living in Virginia, we were invited to a friend's family, Thanksgiving dinner. The event was located on a property in West Virginia, near Franklin, West Virginia, owned by this friend. It was a former "Poor House," that was the living quarters (prisons) for people who couldn't pay their debts.
What made this dinner so memorable? We dined in the former caretakers house that lacked electricity, indoor plumbing and in-house running water. Light was from old, oil lamps.
The dinner was cooked on an original, wood burning stove that also served to help heat the house. Water was from a second building that housed the artesian well.
There were no TV, no football games.
The turkey was worth the wait. Somehow, the wood stove added a flavor and texture that bested the modern-cooked turkeys we have had.
Dinner was followed by smoking corncob pipes supplied by our host and sampling some adult beverages, all around the fireplace.
Outhouses were, of course, outside.
It was the most "down home," comfortable, satisfying Thanksgiving dinner we have ever had.

(We learned that during the Winter, the outhouses were too far away from the house. In the Summer, the same outhouse was too close.)
Ron
My house is strictly heated by wood stove. Made a couple good stews on this stove.

There is one thing worse than having a wife than can cook and won't. That is a wife that can't cook and does. cooking was so foreign to my ex wife that she needed a passport to enter the kitchen. Her idea of making eggs for breakfast was drop a pat of butter in a pan, add two eggs, put it on the stove and go take a shower. The house always stank from the food she ruined. Sometimes she would experiment with recipes. I came home to our anniversary dinner on our second anniversary. Seriously, marshmallow cinnamon chicken. How do you even keep from barfing. Do you force yourself to eat it just because? (Thankfully, my mother taught us all to cook to survive.) When we lived in Miami, I went out shrimping with a buddy, my share was nearly 30 pounds of shrimp. I steamed some and made cocktail sauce. Told her to try some. She bit into a shrimp and then spit it out. "somebody coated them with plastic"...........
Yes sir, I have noticed that these young fellows today are the ones that do the cooking, and most of the house work. My wonderment is....what the hell does she do??

:doh::doh:🤣🤣🤣

Darn Guy. Don't know where you are. Here in York PA, several places have turkeys for less than a buck a pound and we stopped at one place that had frozen turkeys for 47 cents a pound. We bought three yesterday. and two a couple of weeks ago. As Mrs. says, we can't buy dog food that cheap. Between the free turkeys from jobs and the ones we purchased, we have 9 in the freezer. My wife doesn't even like roast turkey. But the left overs make turkey pot pie, turkey BBQ, turkey corn soup, and we even make a fake Maryland crab soup using turkey. (all you smell and taste is the Old Bay seasoning, whether crab or turkey.) I take the small ones (under 14 pounds) and cook them in the smoker grill. But first inject them with cider that is starting to turn. Got the tangy sweet flavor, the acid to tenderize the breast and keep it moist. comes out like good BBQ.

Our local wegman's market usually has fresh goose this time of year. It was $125 last year. probably more this year. One regional chain out of Germany has a special Thanksgiving sale this week. Lamb was on sale for $19.99 a pound. I have never heard of having Lamb for Thanksgiving. (can't stand the smell of it and I even raise sheep)
I just love turkey and left over turkey for sandwiches, etc. Man at .47 cents/lb I'd have a whole damned freezer full. Well, we raise chickens and am now going to be raising turkeys!! Colorado is going the way of Commiefornia!!

I have often set in a deer blind the days after thanksgiving wondering how many turkey sammichs were in the wood with the deer hunters. We are going to have a stuffed hog maw (cabbage, taters sausage and carrots) think americian haggis for those un-informed. Told the boss lady we are also doing a turkey breast so I have turkey sammichs for hunting.

I have often set in a deer blind the days after thanksgiving wondering how many turkey sammichs were in the wood with the deer hunters. We are going to have a stuffed hog maw (cabbage, taters sausage and carrots) think americian haggis for those un-informed. Told the boss lady we are also doing a turkey breast so I have turkey sammichs for hunting.
Yup, nothing like having a stuffed pig stomach for Thanksgiving...🤮

Back