• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Templates of Rifles

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hi,
Eric von Aschwege (von Aschwege Flintlocks) sells drawings that are very detailed and historically correct. He has one of a really nice George Schroyer York county gun. I note he does not list them on his site so you might need to e-mail him about the plans.

dave

Years ago in my misspent youth I was learning to build ML guns from an East Texas ML gunsmith named Leon Miller. One week we traveled to the famous flea market at Canton, Texas, to sell some guns, and met a dealer from Illinois he knew. The dealer allowed me to handle and examine an original Shroyer rifle that he said was over 200 years old That was about 1980. The rifle was a hunter's gun, no carving, with brass furniture and patchbox, with intense curly maple which was crumbling along the upper edge of the forestock, and had taken on the translucent quality of tortoise shell. The flintlock was barely held on by the one remaining bolt, and the long iron barrel, maybe 44 inches long, was thick, maybe one inch across the flats, and seemed to be about .50 caliber. Mr. Miller said this was a rifle typical of the over mountain hunters of the day. I held this rifle when I was about 24 years old, and now at the age of 66 I still remember feeling the spirit of the hunter who packed that heavy but very honest and beautiful rifle in the woods, and the care of the gunsmith who built it.

Back