• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Techniques for caps on revolvers?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
GoodCheer said:
If any percussion revolver would spew a torch out of the rear end it would be the 1858 shooting .41 cal molds.
No chain fires.

But, got a funny story. My bro' got a 1860 from Cabela's current sale with flash holes through the nipples that were so big that the back flash came down between the hammer and the frame, into the action and burned him on top of the trigger finger!
:rotf:

I'd say he needs to replaces the cones before he goes shooting it again. Some backflash is normal, but in this case he's just asking for a chainfire.

It seems the revolver manufacturers and the different cap makers, can't get together and standardize everything.
There are a couple different aftermarket options for the nipples in the Pietta colt and 1858 models. I stock both.
Both makers claim they take #11. But I have seen some #10's loose on them too.
No problem with having to pinch a little, Just depends on how much.
Been doing it as needed since the 1970's and I have NEVER had a chain fire ever.
Another option. mix up your tallow (lard) and beeswax lube. use toothpick to put a little dab on the nipples. Keep it on the sides of the nipples. Push the cap on. It will push the lube down. It will seal from moisture and help retain the caps.

Millermpls said:
I have been collecting for a little over a year, but hadn't been shooting. I have tried Remington and CCI size 10 and 11 caps on two different older Remington 1858s, a Starr DA, and and Spiller and Burr, and all seem loose. I have pinched them down, but still seem to lose one or two per cylinder from the concussion of shooting. I have replaced nipples on two with fresh sets from Pietta.

Is this just the way it is? Or is there a trick that I am missing?

Thanks for your input.

I've also pinched more than my fair share of caps to get them to stay on my revolver nipples.
Never had a problem with chain fires or with the cap detonating from being pinched.

Speaking of the caps detonating from being pinched, several years ago I did an experiment to see if doing this could cause them to fire.

After bending a number of them, not with my fingers but with a pair of Vise-Grips, I found that crushing them totally flat when done by a slow method like using pliers would not cause them to fire.

Just to make sure I wasn't crushing some "duds" I placed the fully flattened caps on my vise and hit them with a claw hammer.
Every one of them fired when the hammer hit them.

No doubt about that.

Loose caps will often fall off of the nipples on the still loaded chambers when the pistol fires.

That's why I always glance at the unfired caps on the nipples after I fire a shot.

Yes, this does slow down my shooting speed but on more than one occasion I've spotted a bare nipple, just waiting for the next shot to set off its powder load.

Back