• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Trigger question

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

john s mosby

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I picked up a nice used TC Hawken Cap Lock 45 cal rifle at a local gun show. After I got it home I noticed the front end of the trigger guard wasn't down tight so I tightened it down only to find the trigger wouldn't work then. If I backed the screw out about 2 or 3 turns the trigger worked. I took the guard off and found there is nothing holding the front of the trigger assembly, just one screw in the back end. The front of the assembly has a small wire spring which was touching the wood when it's held in tight by the front of the trigger guard causing the trigger not to work so I took a little bit of wood out and put it back together and found it works fine now. So nothing needs "fixed".
The trigger plate has a threaded hole in the front which looks like a tang bolt should go in but the tang has two wood screws but no bolt.
So, my question is, is this normal for TC's?
As my dad used to say, if it's not broken don't fix it so I'll leave it alone. I was just wondering if all TC's are like this one.
Oh, the serial number is 400440 with no letter in front.
Here's a not so clear picture of the trigger assembly.
192942084.jpg

If that is a TC trigger group, it's definitely the old style which uses what looks like a piece of paper clip for a front trigger return spring.

Normally, the rear set trigger in a TC trigger group seems to have a greater curve to it, and the trigger plates don't have the threaded hole in front like that one.

Maybe it was "worked on" by somebody, or it may be a trigger group from a different Hawken variant like from CVA, Traditions, Cabelas, an Italian model...whatever.

But it is not precisely like any TC trigger group I've ever seen, at least as the photo displays it and you described it...probably explains why you had to relieve some wood to allow it to work properly too.

And finally, with a very recent high serial number of 400,xxx, it would have the new style TC trigger group anyway

I came across a t/c hawkens in 45 cal. early model from the 70's the tang has 2 wood screws and the trigger only 1 wood screw in the rear plate,I wood think someone replaced the trigger with a later model.

You're right about that little spring in the front, it looks like a paper clip. It's not a big problem really, it works fine now. I shot the gun several times last week and the triggers work fine now.

lonewolf5347 said:
I came across a t/c hawkens in 45 cal. early model from the 70's the tang has 2 wood screws and the trigger only 1 wood screw in the rear plate,I wood think someone replaced the trigger with a later model.
All the TC Hawken triggers use only one screw in the rear...the front of the trigger guard holds the front of the trigger plate in place...you can see the step down relieved in the trigger guard to accept the front part of the trigger plate.

RB: is correct all the t/c triggers have only 1 screw in the rear and the trigger guard may or may not have the tang screw go into the trigger guard on later models and real early model won't have it.

Latest posts

Back