• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC rate of twist

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Rocky Johnson

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I just bought a 54 cal.TC caplock in very good condition #25525 serial.Gave a freind a $100. for it. How do I tell the twist in the barrel. Rocky

If its a sidelock 1-48" is a pretty safe bet unless its a Tree Hawk, White Mountain Carbine, or Black Mountain Magnum.

To find out, you'll need to fit a TIGHT patch to a brush or jag and start it in the muzzle. Mark the rod and observe how far the rod is pushed to complete 1/4 or 1/2 turnand calculate the twist. The barrels will be too short to check for a full turn.

Most TC barrels will have the rate of twist on the barrel. My old TC Renegade came with a 1:48 twist which I believe was usual for the time.

I have since replaced the original barrel with a longer Green Mountain drop-in barrel with a round ball twist and had the original reamed out to a 20 ga./62 cal. smoothbore.

Jeff

If that rifle is in good shape, you made quite a bargain. Most T/C rifles are 1:48 ROT. Can you post pictures? :photoSmile:

Thanks for that Be Wild Willy. I knew that chart existed, but had lost it in my bookmarks. It's there in a prominent spot now! :hatsoff:

Your welcome BB. I find it interesting that there are so many different types of rifling. Some just indicate rate of twist, some as being "cut", and others as "deep button". What would be the most desired, and how could you tell the difference between the three?

Button rifling is usually very smooth with the bottoms of the grooves showing no marks. Think Shilen or Douglas....

Cut rifling, whether single point or broach cut, will normally have cutter marks in the bottoms of the grooves.

Cut rifled barrels generally have less stress in them due to the fact that they were cut rather than having metal displaced by a button. It is claimed that button rifled bores are work hardend by this displacement of metal. In the case of a MLer, none of this means much.

Thanks for the response. The barrel is 27 inches including the breach plug.The twist is not marked on the barrel.I hunt with a flintlock but am looking forward to playing with this rifle. :wink:

Back