• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC Percussion Lock Hammer Spring Tension

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have a TC Penn Hunter with a hammer spring that may be loose. It's noticeably easier to pull back compared with my Traditions Perc and my Pedersoli Flinter. But it also has a longer throw. I never thought much about it until I picked up the flinter recently. It's not terribly easy but it fails to ignite about 1/5 caps the first time it strikes. At the range, it's no big deal -- it's just a good dry-fire drill. I can just pull the hammer back again & it usually goes off (yes, caps were seated well beforehand). But it was certainly frustrating when I took it out hunting and had it just "click" on quail or squirrels (smoothbore). Are these rifles known for having a looser spring? Or is it something that should be replaced?

TC mainsprings are captive coil springs with no way to be ‘loose’. It may be weak from being left cocked for long periods of time or the rod may be broken and the spring is just butting against the lock inlet not allowing enough compression or maybe your lock is just broken.

but it fails to ignite about 1/5 caps the first time it strikes,,,,, Or is it something that should be replaced
There is an issue with TC locks that can be somewhat deceiving, Hear me out.
Inside the lock is a plate that helps hold the tumbler in place, it's held in by two screws. That plate also holds the fly in place in the tumbler.
If those screws are even a tiny bit loose,, just a tiny bit off from being fully tight,, the fly can actually tip just a little out of position and will jamb the tumblers movement. The fly will stop the tumblers movement in a position that looks very close to a full release,, it looks like the hammer has made a full strike, but it's actually been jammed just short of striking the cap.
The Fix;
Take the lock out and clean it well, a good spray down with brake cleaner goes a long ways. Old dry lube and grit can slow the thing down. Then get a proper fitting screwdriver and turn those fore mentioned screws tight. Make sure to apply fresh gun oil to the inside of the tumbler and fly.
If you keep the lock internals clean, tight and freshly lubed as part of proper maintenance, those TC locks can offer a lifetime of reliability.

There is an issue with TC locks that can be somewhat deceiving, Hear me out.
Inside the lock is a plate that helps hold the tumbler in place, it's held in by two screws. That plate also holds the fly in place in the tumbler.
If those screws are even a tiny bit loose,, just a tiny bit off from being fully tight,, the fly can actually tip just a little out of position and will jamb the tumblers movement. The fly will stop the tumblers movement in a position that looks very close to a full release,, it looks like the hammer has made a full strike, but it's actually been jammed just short of striking the cap.
The Fix;
Take the lock out and clean it well, a good spray down with brake cleaner goes a long ways. Old dry lube and grit can slow the thing down. Then get a proper fitting screwdriver and turn those fore mentioned screws tight. Make sure to apply fresh gun oil to the inside of the tumbler and fly.
If you keep the lock internals clean, tight and freshly lubed as part of proper maintenance, those TC locks can offer a lifetime of reliability.

My brain-clutch is slippin'. That's usually the first thing I tell people to check if they're havin' trouble with a TC lock.

Yer not slippin at all,, I've figured out at least for me, I'm not a good beginners teacher any more. What the beginners gotta learn, ya know(?)
The basics,,
Is something us experienced folks just do by reflex,, it's so much a habit to do,, we forget to tell
Lord, think about it friend,, how many times have both of us shared that little bit,,?.

Back