• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

TC-Hoyt .58 replacement barrel

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elkeater

45 Cal.
Reaction score
A few years ago got a pawnshop .54 Renegade. Since I have 2 other TC's of same bore it's been a project/closet gun. Put Davis Deerslayer triggers, a hunk of walnut and leather with copper nails on butt(15.25" lop) and took a belt sander to comb. Not pretty but it fits well. And I really like the triggers.

Was searching for a rb .58 drop in and figured it would be a shooter next year. Then came Al Rittenhouse who saw my search. He had Mr. Hoyt rebore his .50 Ren and has it for sale. We met on a prairie, gravel road about half way between our places. Thanks again Al!

BTW, Al has a TC Hawken with a GM .58 drop in for sale also. The wood is the prettiest I've seen on a production gun. Too pretty for me to be banging it around on rock.

With just a little channel wood removal and filing on wedge it's now ready to shoot. Only about 5 weeks till elk hunting with it.

On another thread that involved a rebore Zonie brought up the issue of minimum calibre requirements. My barrel is stamped .50 and the minimum for elk here is .54 rb. I need to contact CPW to avoid any hassle in the field.

Although the few contacts I've had with CPW wardens have all been helpful, positive experiences. I will ask if I should change the 0 to an 8.

I have a couple of Bobby Hoyt TC rebores (both 58 1-60 radius bottom Renagade barrels), one cap lock and the other flint. Love them. Handle like a dream. Both have been defarbed, with pertinent information (caliber, twist, who modified and date) stamped on the bottom of the barrel. Won’t own them forever and they stopped making them, so thought it important for future owners. Defarb and restamp on bottom flat seemed cleaner than messing with short novel stamped on the top flats by TC.

I have a Bobby Hoyt re-bored .58 barrel on my Johnathan Browning Mountain Rifle. The barrel is 30" long with a 1:66 round ball twist. This rifle likes 120 Grains of 2f as it's hunting load. 1.5" high at 50 yards, pretty much dead on at 75 yards, and 2.5" low at 100 yards.

CO Elkeater said:
I was wondering if I have to break down and purchase a powder measure that goes beyond 120gr.

Won't know until you start poking holes, but if you hit the ceiling without finding your accuracy, try double pours. My GRRW 58 cal Hawken (1:72 twist as I recall) is okay at 120 grains, but comes into it's own at 140. Never went higher, even as the heavy weight (12.5#) tames recoil pretty well. It happens to like 70 grains for a dinking load, so I just built a 70 grain measure and dump twice for a hunting load.

BTW- Unless you've got more steel in your shorts than I do and the TC stock fits you better than mine does me, you're going to get a hell of a boot out of that sweet combo if you climb much over 100 grains. I have a couple of 58 cal TC Big Boars (1:48 twist), and 110 grains of 2f is about all the jeewhiz I want in them.

Good news, I'm guessing that you won't have to go over 100 grains to get stellar accuracy with a 1:60 twist.

As far as charges beyond 120 grains, really depends on how much entertainment you are looking for. I typically stay between 80 and 100 grains of FFF Swiss (at 120 grains the fun factor starts to really diminish) and sight in at 75 yards. Few inches high at 50 yards and 4 to 8 inches low at a100, depending on charge.

With a 26 inch barrel bored out to 58 caliber, this is a light weight, fast handling, short range (

SDSmlf said:
I have a couple of Bobby Hoyt TC rebores (both 58 1-60 radius bottom Renagade barrels), one cap lock and the other flint. Love them. Handle like a dream. Both have been defarbed, with pertinent information (caliber, twist, who modified and date) stamped on the bottom of the barrel. Won’t own them forever and they stopped making them, so thought it important for future owners. Defarb and restamp on bottom flat seemed cleaner than messing with short novel stamped on the top flats by TC.

Took the same path, one of each in 58.
Where's that smiley with the happy dance? :haha:
To my thinking they're the modern analog to the "jaeger" rifles of old.

BrownBear said:
Good news, I'm guessing that you won't have to go over 100 grains to get stellar accuracy with a 1:60 twist.

If no one bothers me today, I'll be shooting tomorrow morning. Starting with 80 or 90gr of ff goex at 80 yards, paper is cheap. Also will try a string or 2 with fff.

Or should I just go for it at 100gr?

Dont know yer territory buy I have kilt all my elk (with a .58) using 80 grains. All under 90 yds though and most about 60.
They fell over or didnt get outta site. Use what shoots the best group.

CO Elkeater said:
Or should I just go for it at 100gr?

I'm kinda pokey as a way of life, so I always work up a notch at a time.

In both my Big Boars I settled on 110 because the gun liked that just fine and the recoil was still okay, if lots more noticeable than 80 or 90 grains. But the big reason I stopped there was trajectory. I was getting what I need for my own terrain, which bounces back and forth between open and close all day long on hunts.

That 110gr load lets me sight in at 75 yards, putting POI almost right on at 25, an inch high at 50, and about 6 low at 100. Down around 80 grains I was closer to 8 or 10" low at 100 with that sighting, as well as 2-3" high at 50. It takes more powder than a 50 or 54 just to get the heavier 58 cal ball moving fast enough to take some arc out of the flight. You kinda have to watch out for guys pumping 50 cal and 54 cal numbers at you like they just have to be right for 58 cal too. T'aint necessarily so, but you can forgive them their lack of experience with larger cals. At least they're enthusiastic about the sport! :thumbsup:

My "Big Boar" likes the same load that Brown Bear is using. 110 Grains of 2f with a .015 Mink Oil lubed patch and my cast .575 balls gives me the trajectory I want without too much recoil. I never notice the recoil when taking a hunting shot anyway.

Back