• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tasty tasty Hardtack?!

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just buy some Matzos at the deli. Pretty much the same thing!
I eat matzah ever year for 8 days and then make matzah pizza out of the leftovers till it is gone. I have made hardtack. They are not the same, although both are simple and kind of bland. Matzah will go rancid in a year or so, proper hard tack won't.
Just my thoughts and experience....
David

I eat matzah ever year for 8 days and then make matzah pizza out of the leftovers till it is gone. I have made hardtack. They are not the same, although both are simple and kind of bland. Matzah will go rancid in a year or so, proper hard tack won't.
Just my thoughts and experience....
David

The KEY to making proper hardtack is to use whole, white wheat. Today it's called whole wheat pastry flour, because..., that was the wheat that they had back then. In fact if you decide to make regular bread for a reenactment, the wheat flour should be whole wheat pastry flour. Hard red, or red winter wheat didn't become the majority wheat of the United States until after the ACW. The current wheat has WAY too much protein, hence the super-hardness. (OH and add about 1/3 wheat bran to your hardtack dough when using the whole wheat pastry flour.)

Frankly... (imho-hbc 😜) using modern whole wheat flour to fashion hardtack is like using a candle lantern with a battery operated candle... sure it looks pretty close to what it should be, but it's not really what it should be. ;)

NOW IF you want biodegradable targets for a shooting match, make them out of hardtack using modern whole wheat flour, and use food coloring if you wish to make them stand out down range.

LD

I've a mind to make some of the hard tack with the softer flour. As a boy, my family sometimes went days with hardly nothing - or nothing at all - on the shelf or fridge and we had to make do as we could. Eating a raw onion or bread so stale that it is a rock will soon teach you an appetite that will appreciate even what appears to be the blandest thing. I still remember the taste of a ripe peach off the tree when biking home from work and won't forget it until I'm in the grave.

Appetites, at least in the USA, too often balk at the simple stuff. I wouldn't want anyone to be hungry, but it is a shame when we forget that simple foods have a dignity all on their own. Me and my father drinking coffee and eating beans out of a can was like a feast and a good experience to learn hard work and hard living.

Latest posts

Back