• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

target load for gpr 54 cal

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

horsetrader

36 Cal.
Reaction score
Just got a very cheap ( to cheap not to buy) Lyman great plains rifle in 54 cal.
What would be a good starting load for target shooting.... I would like to use Goex FFFg powder ... Which ball size, patch, load, over powder wad?.....

Inexpensive, not cheap.

Starting load: 0.530 rb, 0.015 patch, 60 gr ffg real black powder.

Some folks like to start at 50 gr; Dutch Schoultz's method suggests that. However, you will need to shoot as many as 100 rounds before the barrel starts to break in (rifling needs dulling); until then your results will be inconsistent, groups will be larger than you want. Fear not, however, they will tighten up, so you might as well shoot a bit heavier load until then.

Ed. Just noticed your note about fffg powder. That's ok, I'd still start at 60 gr.

I've shot 5-shot groups with my .54 GP flinter and GOEX FFFg, starting with with 50 grains and working my way up to 105 grains in 5-grain increments.

It grouped exceptionally well with 65 grains. Groups opened up a little at 70 grains, opened up a little more at 75, 80, 85 and 90 grains, tightened up real well again at 95 grains, then started to open up again at 100 and 105 grains. I use .535 cast balls (Lee mold), .018 pillow tick patch, olive oil lube. I don't need a wad for target shooting and plinking, but I use one when hunting and the load may be in the gun for several days.

I have two .54 GPRs, one flint and one percussion. My hunting load is the most accurate in both rifles. That is a .530 ball, .018 pillow ticking patch lubed with Ballistol oil and 80 grains of FFg Goex. Gives me one ragged hole at 50 yards. I know you want to shoot FFFg, but FFg groups better in my rifles. Each rifle is different, so you're going to have to try both to see which one your rifle prefers. By the way, you have the best production rifle around and in a great caliber :thumbsup:

My GPR 54 must have read mykeal's post. Same starting load all down the line. I've settled on 80-90 grains of Goex 3f for a hunting load for a little more power, not because it's any more or less accurate. He's also right on the money about break-in required by GPRs.

On another note, if you really want to go cheap, once the barrel is broken in, try my favorite small game load (35 grains of Goex 3f or Pyrodex P) for practice and plinking. It's even more accurate than 60 grains at 25 yards and essentially the same at 50.

One of the things I really like about the GPR and most other muzzleloaders is a tendency to put a wide variety of charges into the same POI out to around 50 yards. Once you're sighted in with a hunting load (in my case dead-on at 75 yards), you can pretty much count on the lighter loads to hit at the same spot as the heavy loads at shorter ranges. Makes for great, money-saving practice with no changes to the rifle sights.

Try both .530 and .535 balls with a variety of patch material and thickness. A "target load" for any rifle is generally the most accurate load if you intend to compete, so that means you just need to search for the best load for your gun. I'd start at 45 or 50 grains and work up to accuracy.

For starters though, I recommend that you shoot several shots with each possible combo of ball and patch over max loads for your rifle. Read those patches and use the one that does the least or no damage to the patch. Then go to the 45 or 50 grain starting point and work up to accuracy.

If your definition of "target load" is just a fun plinking load then 50 or 60 grains will probably work out pretty good.

BrownBear said:
My GPR 54 must have read mykeal's post.

Uh, if your GPR knows your internet passwords, you need to start paying very close attention to your credit card statements... :rotf:

marmotslayer said:
For starters though, I recommend that you shoot several shots with each possible combo of ball and patch over max loads for your rifle. Read those patches and use the one that does the least or no damage to the patch. Then go to the 45 or 50 grain starting point and work up to accuracy.

By all means check several patch/ball combinations. My Santa Fe .53 went from a 6" group at 50 yards with 50 grains 3F, .520 ball and .022 denim to a 1" group just by changing to a .024 canvas patch. This is the biggest change I have every seen by simply changing a patch type but it can really make a difference.

By all means check several patch/ball combinations. My Santa Fe .53 went from a 6" group at 50 yards with 50 grains 3F, .520 ball and .022 denim to a 1" group just by changing to a .024 canvas patch. This is the biggest change I have every seen by simply changing a patch type but it can really make a difference.

Yes, I've had similar experiences with several guns. Have come to believe that the single most important aspect of the load is the ability of the patch to take the punishment delivered by that hot fast ride to the muzzle. Not ignoring the important functions of thickness and fit of ball and patch to the bore, though.

Back