• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tang Peep Sight

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Davemuzz

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a T\C Hawken with a GM roundball barrel. Pa is allowing peep sights this fall and I'm a big fan of peep sights.

However, I've never shot or held a tang mounted peep before. Any feedback from those who have one mounted would be greatly appreciated.

I am looking at the T\C version. Does this one get knocked off center easy? Tell me the good and the bad.

Thanks.

Dave

I have two rifles. Both are TC renegades, one with a single trigger and the other has double set triggers.
I installed a GM Stainless steel barrels, Lyman 17aml globe front sights with Lee Shavers fine post inserts. I also installed Lyman 57 sml peeps on both.
386767.jpg

472094.jpg

My load is a 410 gr Hornady great plains bullet and 100 gr of pyrodex select RS. I get great accuracy with this load.
393233.jpg

That group was my best but my average is 1.250
I used this combo for deer hunting this last year. The thing I like about the lyman peep is I can take it off and keep it from getting messed up. I also have this sight sighted in for 100, 150, 200, 250, and 300 yards. I like the ability to use my range finder and adjust the sight to the range I am shooting at. I would not take a first shot at a deer over 150 yards. But if I have hit one it is nice to know if I got a deer or elk hit I can make a follow up shot out to 300 yards.
The thing I don't like about the lyman 57 sml. I don't think this is the most ruggen sight in the world. I have had it move once when I was in the truck. It has index marks so I was able to move it back to the sight in point. I have never used or seen the TC peep. I don't know anything about them. If I were to score the Lyman front peep with lee shavers they would be a solid 10 out of 10. The Lyman 57 sml would be an 8. While I like the sight I think it could break if it were dropped. But what sight would not break? Like I said I keep mine in my pocket when I am not into game. When I am into game I put it on. This system has worked well. this is the deer I got with it. Ron
445809.jpg

488067.jpg

Ron,

First off...Very nice deer! Congratulations on that one!

Second, here is a link to a picture of the T\C peep sight Muzzle Loading Emporum If you look at this, I don't know if it appears more "rugged" than the Lyman model. I think they are probably about the same in terms of "toughness".

I hear you on the "if you drop it....it will move" scenario. I put scribe lines on my open sight M\L guns just "in case" I do the dropies in the field.

Thanks for the information and the pictures. It really does help.

Dave

Dave,
I am just going to offer an opinion here for what it is worth. Ron hunts Idaho and you and I hunt Pa.
and OH.I'm not sure of the terrain that you hunt
in Pa. but it would be very impraticle to use
peep sights in the area I hunt in OH.
Let me make a suggestion. Take a peep sighted
rifle of any type and see how difficult it is to pick up a target in the terrain that you will be hunting.
Where I hunt light and foliage make peep sights and even scopes very impracticleIMHO
snake-eyes :hmm:

Dang, Ron, that is a heck of a mulie buck.
As to the peep issue, if you remove the sighting disk, you essentially have a ghost ring sight that can be useful in lower light, although it doesn't completely solve the problem. But for myself, I prefer not to shoot too late lest I lose an animal in the gathering darkness.

Snakeeyes,

You have some interesting comments. It's kind of funny on my end though. I have my .243 and .308 "deer" rifles with scopes. Then I have my .223 varmit rifle scoped. I have one of my 44 mag handguns scoped and a 7-30 waters T\C barrel scoped.

But, my Marlin 45-70 has a Williams peep sight on it.

Last year I took 3 deer (all doe). Two with my compound bow and one with my 45-70.

Now, I keep askin myself why I have these scopes? However, in rifle season I did scope 7 bucks, all of which were not the legal 4 points on one side. And the scope was a big help in making that count possible.

But I will respectfully disagree with you on both the scope and the peep sight. My 45-70 peep is sighted in for 100 yards with a mild load of Varget under a 405 grain Cast Performance Bullet. That big doe stepped out at just 100 yards and I put one right behind the tip of the front leg....just like I was practicing at the range.

I love the peep sight. Some folks don't like 'em at all, but I'm one who is sold on 'em.

Dave

At 50 years young Dave, you're at just the right age for your eyes to start going to heck. It makes conventional open sights harder and harder to see and shoot well.

A receiver/tang peep sight is the perfect solution. As already suggested, you can unscrew the aperture insert to produce a great ghost ring sight in low light.

I've got a whole rack full of guns, and a closet and a shop and every other corner I can find. Probably two dozen have peep sights. Probably twice that have scopes. Exactly four have conventional open sights. I use the peeps for closer range shooting, bad weather shooting, and circumstances requiring quick shooting. Love my scopes and use them a lot, but I reach for a peep sight when the chips are down.

Three of the four guns with conventional open sights are MLs. Two of those don't have peeps because I simply haven't found one that suits me. The other is one of my Lyman GPR's built from a kit. I've done my darndest to find a primitive sight that will work for my 56-year-old eyes. Some work some of the time in some light. But much as I'd like to keep that gun completely primitive, it's going to get a peep sight if I plan to hunt with it.

The TC peep is solid. Probably more solid than my Lyman peeps. I'm so impressed with it that I'm collecting the materials and design details to make a shim to fit one to the Lyman. It won't be "authentic" but it comes a lot closer to my eye than that big, bulky Lyman peep.

Back