• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Tang "Hood"?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Matabele

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Hi all,

Wondering if anyone could tell me what that extension or "hood" is ive circled in the picture, whats the name for it? You also see it on shotguns and double rifles.

LockDetail.jpg

Im toying with the idea of building the English Sporting Rifle kit from Track and I see this "hood" (not sure what else to call it) is not included in the tang, breech assembly in the kit, although it was a regular part of original guns.

Can anyone tell me how I might go about fabricating one, and attaching it to the tang?

That's a fence put there to keep cap debrit from the shooters face. To add a fence, one could be made then silver soldered on. I would either make one and weld it on with my mig then file and shape it or just run a series of beads one atop the other building up a fence with the welder then file and shape. I've built fences before this way and it works well.

There are the cup type shields that fit over the nipple (or under, I should say). I don't know how you could attatch a steel one to the breech plug. You may be able to change the breech plug to one that has the shield already attatched. Someone else may have a better fix.Sorry if that doesn't help any. You are on the right forum for your answer.

FWIW: Try one of those formed brass nipple shields (also available from TOW and others), not the shallow one shaped like a bowl but the one shaped like a styrofoam cup (wider at the top than the bottom). Then if you aren't pleased with the results you can always remove it and go with the built-up approach as suggested by others.

BJ

It is part of the tang for a hooked breech. It looks to me like it IS included with the kit, but the pics of the tang on the kit page are so small that this feature doesn't show. Here's a link to the page where they sell the tangs by themselves:

Hooked breech tangs

Thanks for all your help and suggestions guys, its appreciated! Bohica I think you're right after having another look at the tangs there does seem to be a fence present there, just not so obvious. If not I can always solder one on later I guess.

Thanks again :thumbsup:

Back