• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Taking a Blacksmithing class

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Coal forge can get much hotter than gas. Gas won't burn delicate work as readily, though. I use a wheel drum forge. Not elegant nor as deep, but quite effective. Btuminous or soft coal is best. The hard, shiney anthracite used in furnaces is hard to keep burning and is apt to burn your work. Any steel for practice is good. Mower blades should be fine for chisles or knives if not a bit tough to work. Have fun and wear earmuffs.

Ear muffs???? Huh??? Say again???

I will end up getting this one, as I have been told by the owner. He is my friend, and getting on up in the years. It is a super nice Hay Budden, that was going to be thrown in the trash, luckily he was around to save it. It is nearly the same size as mine, over 350 lbs. He is helping me now with materials to build my blacksmith shop

View attachment 47462View attachment 47463View attachment 47464View attachment 47465

Wow, that's a nice looking anvil. From what I see the edges are nice and sharp. Mine have been beat up some, but still usable.

If anyone wants to give me one i'll be OMW!

Here's a Roy Underhill video's with Peter Ross showing some of the dies and tools he uses when he is blacksmithing. If you have 1/2 hour to watch it, I'm sure you will enjoy it. (Click on "Tool Smithing with Peter Ross". It's near the bottom of the list)

https://www.pbs.org/woodwrightsshop/watch-on-line/watch-season-episodes/2015-2016-episodes/

It was interesting watching him make and use the swages. I've watched the woodwright's shop many times, I'm surprised Underhill didn't have any corny or off-color jokes as he usually does.

I used to go to FORT LEGIONER , IN PA, every year and along the way I would stop road side where that they would fill the truck with coal. and under the conveyer the ground was covered with soft coal. and that amount that I retrieved lasted me for one year.

Ear muffs???? Huh??? Say again???
I made this hold down years ago as a third hand. I found the when I rotate it around to hang off the heel side when not in use, the anvil goes from sounding like a Very Large Church Bell to a dink dink sound.
1603479354839.jpeg

Back