• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C Hawken + Renegade rumors are FALSE.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

roundball

Cannon
Reaction score
Just got off the phone with T/C's Fox Ridge shop where it was confirmed there is no truth to any rumors that T/C has or is discontinuing it's Hawken and Renegade sidelocks.

T/C had a problem with it's stock wood contractor earlier this year and that impacted the whole manufacturing flow / output...they have changed stock wood contractors and production will be back to normal levels ASAP.

The T/C Hawken & Renegade are alive and well!

This is good news for all of us! Even the folks who aren't TC fans should appreciate TC's willingness to keep on producing Sidelock rifles.
Now, if they would add a .58 and a .62 cal. roundball barrel for their Renegade I'm sure they could get some of those folks who are thinking about one of those "other" guns back into thinking "traditional".

Zonie said:
This is good news for all of us! Even the folks who aren't TC fans should appreciate TC's willingness to keep on producing Sidelock rifles.
Now, if they would add a .58 and a .62 cal. roundball barrel for their Renegade I'm sure they could get some of those folks who are thinking about one of those "other" guns back into thinking "traditional".
Well, THAT would be icing on the cake for sure...but as I'm sure you know, with the way the traditional market has been collapsing over the past 10 years...and with GM just down the road from TC already making excellent drop-in barrels in .58cal RB and .62cal smoothbore...T/C doesn't waste a heartbeat worrying about these tiny slivers of the market...like you said, we just need to be thankful that they're willing to keep the lines open for their two main sidelocks
:grin:

Yes but lets get right back to it.

1. There is a lot of information being passed on this site and others that you can buy a cheap import and it is just as good.

O I know it is not said in exactly that way but that is how it comes off. (And some time it is)

People who do not know log on here and listen to the people who talk with great athority.

That is all well and good but sooner or latter if we keep telling people that plastic sights are just as good as cut steel.

Second grade wood is just as good as first and second grade finish is just as good as first we could be digging our own graves.

When I log onto Green Mountain barrel and get the thing today and pay a few extra bucks I got the thing in my hand now. If I go to a cut rate outlet and wait six weeks to save 30 bucks I think we need to get ourselvse togerher here.

if you can really not afford the bucks that is great but would it make a bit more sense to start telling people that you

you do get what you pay for
buy the best you can afford
buy fewer guns and trade up in quality

I never any more buy American cars made under American Management.

I do buy cars made by Americans working under Forigen Managenent

I do this because American Management in the car industry is strictly Third World and the lives of my family mean more to me than some spud in Detroit.

If we were to start buying these guns and demanding more calibers and options then it is possible Smith and Wesson will hear the sound of the cash register and respond.

Or in the next few years we may be seeing the new improved line of T/C guns with crome bores, plastic sights and all the other material advances.

I simply posted the results of a direct conversation with T/C where they verified that the rumor of T/C no longer making sidelocks is false.

I would like to see TC sponsor some hunter with a hawken for one of these TV shows. I think it would go a long way to see one of the professionals take a big deer with a PRB or even one of TC's conicals in a traditional sidelock.

Roundball, I looked on the T/C website but couldn't find a Renegade. Where can I find a new one?

Zonie said:
Why don't you git one of the .56 smoothy barels and have it bored and rifled. Surely a .58 or .62 bore wouldn't weaken that 1" barrel too much. :wink:

Barney ,the renegades were available from Fox Ridge outfitters I believe. But their website seems to be down at the moment. The last time I hear though they didnt have any available at the moment because of a lack of stock material. Dont fret there is a host of nice used ones on the market much cheaper. Go to Auction arms, Gun Broker or Guns America. I bought one that is almost flawless on Gunbroker for 160 bucks.. It has two small scratches on it on the bottom of the stock. Its getting refinished after the season. It came with a .50 cal barrel that shoots patched round balls good. I have a Green mountain .58 cal barrel on the way. So I'll have a gun with 2 barrels cheaper than a new one.

Great news. I remember back around 1980, even though there were other makes, T/C was the major force around here fueling the muzzleloader boom. Just about everyone I knew that got into muzzleloading back then had either a Hawken or Renegade (and maybe a Patriot). I still hold out hope that they will reintroduce some of the others that they have discontinued over the years.
Larry

Barney said:
Roundball, I looked on the T/C website but couldn't find a Renegade. Where can I find a new one?
TC's Fox Ridge store on the plant premises in NH...800-243-4570, menu option #3

I'd like to have a flint pistol similar to the Patriot...a little larger physically, larger grip, and the set triggers reconfigured like the Hawken set triggers.

With the firing trigger at the back, and the small size of the pistol and pistol grip, it's hard to shoot one well with big hands

Although I have handled a Patriot, I have never fired one. I had no idea that the firing trigger was the rear trigger! I guess that would have been a real surprise the first time I fired one.
Larry

The TC Renegade 50 cal. was my first and only ml. I'm glad to hear that they are continuing to produce the sidelock guns. I bought a righthanded gun even though I'm a lefthanded shooter. Back in the day I figured a lefty had to shoot a righthanded gun so I went with it. No regrets. I've never hand a miss fire while deer hunting in 16 years. I can't say enough good about this TC gun, it's surved me well.

Interestingly, the Renegade was, maybe still is, offered in a left handed model...see one every now and then on auctions...don't think any other model was offered as a lefty

Yes they did and do offer a lefthanded model. The dealers I went to only had righthanded guns in stock (1990-91). The owner of one small gunshop turned me on to this person who won a ml in a raffle. Long story short, I bought the gun for $100 in the box brand new. This is the main reason I shoot a righthanded gun.
I'm getting long in the tooth and would like to try a flintlock someday while I can still hunt. Been looken at a lefthanded Lyman flintlock prb shooter. Real pretty gun.

I'll be surprised if you don't like a Flintlock...and remember that the clock never stops...don't wait too long
:thumbsup:

I don't know about other models, but the New Englander came in a left-handed version. Of course I realize that's not one of the models being discussed right now.

I definitely agree it's good news that the Renegade and Hawken models will be continued. My boy killed a nice doe with a Renegade just a couple of days ago (brag)...

Spot

Latest posts

Back