• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C .58 Big Bore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Abe48

.58 Cal.
Reaction score
Recently joined this forum. Have a question concerning my T/C .58 Big Bore. Has single trigger and just a 4-digit serial #. Is this an early Renegade, or just a regular .58 Big Bore? Would also like to know the twist rate. Shoots 1" group with 282 gr, .575 RB .010 patch and 80 gr 2f powder @30ygs. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

just a regular Renegade Big Boar with the T/C standard 1 in 48 inch twist.

Thanks for the rapid input. Plan on sighting in to 150yds in next couple weeks. Hoping that although just a regular renegade, it prints me something akin to what I've been reading about the Hawken.

Renegade has no nose cap or patch box. Butt plate is shotgun style plain metal not crescent shaped brass.

TC

I have two of them and both mine say Big Boar (Not Big Bore) on the barrel. Both are 1-48 twist and accurate as a snakebite with both conicals and RB. One has a standard muzzle and the other has the recessed muzzle (forgot the name at the moment). Can't tell the difference between them accuracy-wise.

Keelhaul said:
Thanks for the rapid input. Plan on sighting in to 150yds in next couple weeks. Hoping that although just a regular renegade, it prints me something akin to what I've been reading about the Hawken.

Buy a range finder. gonna drop like a rock at 175 and will shoot moon high at 100!

Keelhaul said:
------------------------------------------------

@ 150 yards????? better have target sights....Low to no wind ..
got a 42 " 58 cal slow twist that will hold 1.5 in @ 85yds.110 gr.FF Goex.tight patch- mink oil lube.

with the T/C factory sights the front sight will block a 10" target @ 150.yds.

It appears that I've been misled about the range of a Big Boar. My enthusiasm got the best of me. Any advice on a .58 that will stretch to 150yds with accuracy?

My question is, other than metallic silhouette matches, what do you need 150 yard accuracy for? Silhouettes are shot from 50 to 200 yards.

To get any form of accuracy you need a range finder to know your true distance. Then you need practice to be able to account for the trajectory at that distance.

bubba.50 said:
Key to T/C serial numbers: 4 digit numbers have a 1:66 twist rifling
5 digit or more will have the 1:48 twist rifling

I believe that T/C called it a "Quick Load Accurizer" or QLA for short. I have a .50 round ball barrel from the now defunct Fox Ridge Outfitters, (T/C custom shop)with the QLA. No short starter required.

Keelhaul said:
It appears that I've been misled about the range of a Big Boar. My enthusiasm got the best of me. Any advice on a .58 that will stretch to 150yds with accuracy?

Shoot a bunch at 100y. When you are consistent there, try your hand at 150y. You will educate yourself.

This explains a lot. Thanks. Now I need to figure out if a .575 RB, 100gr 2f and .010 lubed patch will have enough energy remaining after a flight of 100-150 yds. to drop a deer.

Toomuch said:
bubba.50 said:

the number of digits means nothing in a T/C rifle except it's place in the production line. their roundball guns will have a banner markin' on the side clearly statin' "1 in 66 roundball twist".exceptions to this rule would be White Mountain Carbines that had two or three different fast twists & Pennsylvania Hunters which did have slow twist barrels 31 or 32 inches long.

Keelhaul said:

there's a feller on here called Idaho Ron who routinely shoots his 50 and 54 caliber Hawken & Renegade to 300 yards with paper-patched bullets but, his guns all have Green Mountain fast-twist barrels and he does use target sights on them. do a search for some of his posts & maybe it'll help ya along yer path.

Toomuch said:
bubba.50 said:

Ummmmm.... Are you sure that applies for anything more than their special-order 50 caliber round ball barrels?

Both of my Big Boars are 4 digit, and both are 1:48. For that matter, all the TC literature I've been able to collect on the Big Boar, as well as the manuals for my own two, make no mention of a slower twist.

If you have something official from TC I'd love to see it, just for my own records.

Keelhaul said:
Now I need to figure out if a .575 RB, 100gr 2f and .010 lubed patch will have enough energy remaining after a flight of 100-150 yds. to drop a deer.

There's plenty of geewhiz for killing lots further than you can reliably hit. Their trajectory is purely rainbow when you get much past 125 yards or so. My hunting pard lost his temper and foolishly just cranked off a shot with his own Bog Boar at a deer at about 300 yards when he got frustrated that he couldn't stalk closer. Just held over it "a ways" and cracked off the shot. He's not proud of it and in fact he was sincerely embarrassed when the deer lurched forward a couple of steps and dropped. Perfect lung shot, and DRT deer. But he'd never do it again.

I'm blessed with five 58 calibers, one of which is a GRRW Hawken with a 36" barrel tapered from 1 1/8" at the breech to 1" at the muzzle. It's favorite load is 140 grains of 2f behind a ball. Never chronoed it, but sighted dead on at 75 yards it's only about 4" low at 100 yards. And 20-22" low at 150 yards. Resighting to 100 yards rather than 75 probably wouldn't improve that much.

Back