• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

T/C .56 cal Smoothbore

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Cleburne

36 Cal.
Reaction score
I'm waiting on the arrival of a T/C .56 caliber smoothbore barrel for my Renegade. Any load recommendations for shot and round ball? I'll likely use 7-1/2 or 8 shot for squirrel, but would also like to experiment with patched round balls.

Thanks,

Cleburne

Back in the day there were lots of these around here as we were a smoothbore State up until 83'. Pretty much what Walrus said and guys usually used 75, 80 gr of 2F for good accurate 50 yard deer load. Tough, going on memory as these got as rare as the Dodo bird after 83'..

My bore mic's at .560 on the nose...
.535 round ball
.027 40 cotton duct- drill patch
wet lube
70-85 FFF-goex--did not try FF-Goex

This barrel did not like the .550 round ball.
The lube could have been a factor.
Smaller ball with the thicker patch worked.
When working up loads it was important to keep the bore clean.

Good luck have Fun!

A former associate of mine has one (converted to flint) that had become his favorite turkey gun.
As I recall his pet loads included:
.550 round ball w/.015 patch over 70gr.3F
for shot: same charge +(2) 1/8 felt wads and equal measure of #5 shot for all game.

Toomuch
Shoot Flint

80 grains of swiss 2f with a speer .535 ball.don't know the patch thickness,its the thickest i've got.they are surprisingly accurate.the .550 ball is a bear to load and is no more accurate the the .535.waiting for the weather to cool off before i start a serious search for a shot load.

Thanks to each of you for the great info. I look forward to giving it all a try.

Cleburne

For shot loads I use a 2 1/4 dram equivalent load which works out to about 62gr of FFFg.

Patched round ball... a .550diam, a 28gauge cushion wad over powder, a .012 patch, with 70gr of FFFg has served well.

I've seen results vary in virtually identical guns, so you may need to experiment a little bit.

Shoot safely, always.

WV_Hillbilly

Back