• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

t/c 56 cal smooth bore and minie balls.

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

nwtradegun

50 Cal.
Reaction score
Has anyone tried them? I have a source for a box . would like info first. thank you

with no riflin' to spin it to keep it flyin' pointy-end first I can't see how you'd get any accuracy from'em.

As I remember, the early shotgun "slugs" were just a smooth lead shuttle cock design, and no I don't remember them being very accurate. I suspect that a mini would be even worse, but still interested if anyone has experience with them.

Actually they, and hollow based mini's work well for "cutting the card" shots since these shots are usually close enough that the tumbling doesn't effect accuracy. But beyond twenty yards you will have no accuracy! :idunno: :idunno:

Accuracy is not the right word to be used with these. Some people patch the ball, some use the different shot cards above and below the ball. I tried patches, .010 ticking and TOW .550 balls. Lucky to hit 9" pan consistently at 40 yds. On the other hand if your hunting in a dense area, swamp, your lucky to have a shot past that and that .550 is right between a .54 and a .58. Oh yeah, they're kinda short and swing nice, like a short 28 ga.

You won't have any luck with a mini out of a smoothbore. They'll tumble, keyhole and won't group. There is no shuttlecock effect or stabilization from the effect of the slipstream, they need to spin to stabilize. If the minies are free go for it, you'll need a stiff lube like beeswax and tallow and a real close fit to the bore, under .002" and half that is even better. You can have a fun afternoon finding out that they aren't worth the effort.

My experience with the T/C .56 is different from yours. With a .550 ball, .015 mink oil lubed patch and 80 grains of 2f, I get four inch groups at 60 yards, which is as far as I usually see deer here in the dense laurel of southern CT.

thanks for the comments I ll just stay with patched rd ball. to xpensive to monkey around

Back