• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Swampy's First Deer

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ike

40 Cal.
MLF Supporter
Reaction score

First I have been looking at a flint lock swamped barrel rifle for a while and I found a left handed 50 cal rifle with a swamped barrel this fall. Of course I named it Swampy. I worked with it to came up with a shoot able combination to give me reasonable accuracy out to 100 yds.

This muzzle loader season has been a challenge. I have seen deer four times when I have been able to get out to the land where I hunt. The land owner lets me hunt and I am the only hunter on 200 acres of hills and swamps surrounded by farms with corn and bean fields. I feel very lucky to be able to hunt on his land. I hunt from the ground and have been busted three times where I have had deer within fifty feet but could not get in position to get the rifle up to fire.

This morning I had several does walking on the hillside coming towards me. They dropped into a ravine about thirty yards away from me. I was able to move a little and get the rifle up to shoot. One doe walked down the trail and as her head became visible and she had me spotted. But in this case I was ready. A little of her neck ear and eye were visible. She was in my sights. The deer hesitated just a moment trying to figure out what I was. The deer waited to long. One shot, I could and did not see her run. I reloaded and walked over to the edge of the ravine the deer was right where she was when I shot. There will be venison in the freezer and a shirt on my back when I get the hide tanned.

Ike

:hatsoff: Congtatulations! Your work and patience paid off, and now you're hooked! :thumbsup:

Congrats on you harvest, better dust a few more if your planning on making a shirt, front, back, two sleeves and perhaps a little fringe. Get in the woods.

Thanks for all of your replies. Just put the steaks and roasts in the freezer. Have about 12 quarts of trimmings that will go in the canner tomorrow. Love canned venison.

Ike

silly goose said:
Congrats on the deer, but I really don't care for the shot you described.

If one is sure of a hit it is a good shot on deer IMHO. I myself have never taken a head shot but I would inside 50 yds.

GREAT job.

He's hooked folks :haha:

Back