• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stupid BP Comments At The Shooting Range

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have to agree here. I've never gotten a snide remark my way when shooting BP. Most everyone has reacted with interest and intrigue. The comments I have overheard have all been very encouraging. I should offer a few shots to people who express interest. I haven't done that yet.

XXX says he doesn't hear one shot anymore. the other night me and my son were hunting and below us we heard bang......bang,bang. i said to my son (8 year old)he missed a running deer. nothing came our way, at the end of the day we were at the truck and three hunters came out, i said did you shoot, one of them said, yeah i missed a doe that was running. so we get in the truck and my son said< how did you know he missed> i told him, you only need one shot to kill a deer.

My range is way the heck out in the desert, by the Old Tucson movie location. Very nice place in a valley. Never had any stupid remarks, but a lot of honest questions. I normally wind up giving a mini-seminar on the weapons and hobby. Second nature for a former teacher! I'm a wretched shot with a pistol but pretty good with a rifle, so I reassure people that the weapons are a lot more accurate than the shooter, in my case!

XXX said:
bart said:
1. I have a unfair advantage over their 5 shot Brownings

Since you brought it up... Has anyone noticed that the centerfire hunting crowd seems to average 3 shots at a time these days? 20 years ago during regular deer season you would hear distant shots all day and could make some assumptions about what you were hearing. For example;

(1)1 shot, bang-----someone killed a deer.
(2)bang....bang -----50% chance someone killed a deer
(3)bang....bang,bang----- Missed, shooting at tails
(4)bang..bang,bang,bang,bang---- Some clown target shooting with an SKS.

Is it me or do we never hear the single distant shot anymore? it seems like it is always (3) and (4).Everyone likes to lay down supressive fire on game animals.

Well that is the point in the end. No one ever hears the words One Shot One Kill any more.

The fellas I hunted with that day 5 men in a line are shooting a total of 15 rounds at a single bird and I am number six. If I do not shoot they want to know why. My answer is simply The P=hen won far and square. They do not understand it.

By the way (back at the club) that kid who took that three quick shots at my bird starts talking to me about the bird he missed and I finally took.

We spoke a bit about manners on the part of a hunter.
We spoke about letting the other hunter take his shot and miss before jumping on the trigger.
We also spoke about respect for your shooting companions. Different styles of shooting and self disaplane. About letting the bird get out far enough for your choke's to be effective.

And a lot of other stuff. He learned a lot that day and is more fun to shoot around since then but his dad is still a ?S^.

The common one I hear is "Why don't you use an inline?" And I say, "because it's more of a challenge this way, and this is how it was done before a lot of the modern things we have now came about. If it was good enough back then it's good enough now." That is pretty much my standard response.

Hehe you forgot the "Bang Bang" someone just killed two deer. The only time I need more then one shot is when there are more then one deer around and I have more then one tag. :grin:

There was that one time though. First time I shot at a running deer I lead to much with my first shot and almost got a head shot :nono: , I hit him in the jaw. The next shot brought him down.

There is still to this day a slight argument about a double kill I got one time. My dad and I were side by side when we got jumped by a vicious pack of whitetail does, all we could do was put up a good fight to the end. He struck out and I got two but swears up and down the entrance whole in one was to big for a .243 (he was shooting .30-06).

I think it's the way younguns are being brought up these days. Fast paced world, high speed guns and crazy stuff like that. My first gun was a single shot .22 and my first two seasons hunting birds my dad only gave me 2 shells at a time, if I shot them I had to get more from him. Learned to place my shots much more carefully from that. :v

One of the more "interesting places" I have shot my flintlock was at an indoor shooting range. I was in Tacoma with my son and his wife's father. He wanted to shoot a muzzleloader and I had my 1803 harpers ferry with me, so he called the local gun range where he shot pistol. They said come on down! I wondered about doing this but the owner said he had plenty of ventilation and not to worry. We got all checked in and went in were there were about 10 folks shooting pistol and such. The owner and his son followed us in as they wanted to see how this was done. It was a 25yd range. My son fired a shot and the place came to a standstill! The fire, sparks and smoke got everyones attention. They all wanted to know what happened. The owner loved it! I let him shoot a couple of rounds and a couple of others. One guy didn't like it and complained. The others all told him he was too damned serious and to go away and leave us alone as we were all having fun.

Othern

gota like when we smoke them mod-cartrige shooters out, and definatly when the they are liken it.....hehehe

paulvallandigham said:

I do not take my deer to any butcher shop. Not only are the prices charge outrageous, but you are not guaranteed that the meat they give you comes from your deer, or someone elses. And I don't like the say deer carcasses are just left on the ground , or floor, regardless of temperature by these folks. I work too hard getting a deer out of the field, field dressing, keeping it cool until I get it home, to let some moron ruin the meat by letting it spoil until he gets around to taking the hide off, and cooling it properly. I also don't like the use of saws, which drive bits of bone into the meat, carrying with it bacteria, which spoil the meat even in the freezer. I don't like the fact they leave the fat and sinew on the deer, just like they would a hog, or steer, when they know or should damn well know that the deer sinew and fat carry enzymes that continue to turn the meet tough, and sour it. And, frankly, I really don't like to store bones.

So, for those reasons, I bone out the meat myself, cut off all the fat, sinew, and other connecting tissues, separate the muscles, age them in crocks and stainless steel cooking pots, in the refrigerator, for a week, draining blood and washing off and drying the meat, and rotating it twice a day , and then make my steaks, roasts, chops, andfinally grind what is left, adding some beef or pork suet as a binder, for either venison burgers, or venison sausage. My sausage recipe is here on the forums, at the bottom of the index page.

People think I am doing something monumental, when I talk about boning out the deer meat. However, if you have every cut chicken away from the bones as you eat it, you know all you need to know on how to bone out meat.If you can see, you can cut away the white NON-meat tissues from the red, or darker-colored meat.

I used to cut meat for a living, and I couldn't agree more with you. I live in a colder climate so I hang the meat to age it, but some years it is a little warm, so I plan on getting a second fridge and fallow your lead.

graybeard said:
Of course it's like fly fishing. Fly fishing and black powder shooting are two of the most fun things one can do out of doors. Besides, why does anyone care what we shoot? graybeard

People care what we shoot because it is something they do not understand and it is strange to them.

Your gun shoots better not because it is more or less accurate but because you are a rifleman and he is not. As for fly fishing well the same might be said.

Both sports take time to learn, practice and get good at.

I think a modern shooter (and I shoot a lot of modern) knows this when he sees us shoot better but can not just say that.

One man is a rifleman and the other is a gun shooter. And yes I know there are a lot of good rifleman in the modern world. We can learn a lot from each other.

Although I've never had any rude or mean comments made to me at the range, I have had some really dumb comments made to me. The typical comment is, "Wow, you can really hit something with that old gun?" I know that most average folks today are not history buffs and could care less about our country's past, you would think that they would have enough sense to know that our forefathers didn't all carry guns for the last 200+ years that wouldn't hit the broadside of a barn. I'm never rude in my answers to them. I calmly explain to them that our forefathers didn't change from muzzleloaders to breechloaders because the old guns were inaccurate, but because the breechloaders were faster and easier to load.

I guess alot of folks ask really dumb questions without thinking them through first. An example of a really dumb question, although not related to muzzleloading, was asked of me several years ago when I was a volunteer crewman on the square-rigged sailing barque "Elissa" out of Galveston.

The Elissa is an iron hulled sailing ship built in 1877 in Aberdeen, Scotland. It is a museum ship that is regularly sailed by a volunteer crew in the Gulf of Mexico. When not sailing the Elissa is open to the public.

I was working one day in the crew's quarters (focsle) when a very attractive young lady came into the focsle. She looked around and then looked at me and said, "I like your boat!" I said thank you, we put alot of work into her to keep her in good shape. She then looked me square in the eyes and innocently asked me how long I had owned her!! I thought she was kidding at first, but then realized she was dead serious. I was speechless and didn't know what to say. My buddy who was working with me, said, "Oh honey, the Cap'n here's owned her about 10 years!" She left there that day still thinking I was the ship's owner! My shipmates teased me after that and started calling me "Cap'n."

I was in a Cabela's recently and overheard a lady ask her husband, as they stood in front of a stuffed Grizzly,.. "are they really that big?". He rolled his eyes and they walked on.

When I was young, an old hunter told me, "Old Indian saying: One shot, meat. Two shots, maybe. Three shots, heap sh--t". I doubt the veracity, but sounds swell. On the other hand, I HAVE shot three times on one occasion ( dead deer). Ron in FL

:rotf: Just do like I do...after they are done drooling over the metalic cartridge targets.
Just say, WOW I shot a tighter group with my BP rifle off hand than you did off the bench!

Then they leave the range and you can shoot undisturbed! :blah:

Latest posts

Back