• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stunned, three times

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

USMA65

40 Cal.
Reaction score
This afternoon I loaded my Uberti 1851 Navy with 15 grs. Pyrodex P, lubed wad under the .375 ball and let her rip.
Stun #1: Slixshot nipples have got to be the greatest, recent invention for C&B revolvers. I ran off 24 shots without a single failure.

Stun #2: At twelve yards the gun patterned within a 5" circle. Nice, but at 60 yards I hit a target (25" bull) each of the twelve shots, offhand. I am having WBHickok visions tonight.

Stun #3: I cleaned the gun the way I always have, warm water and Dawn. She cleaned up good, I thought. Then I remember something I read on this forum about cleaning with Ballistol. Today I used it for the first time, after my regular cleaning and was shocked at what I have been leaving behind. The gun actually looks brand new tonight.

This sport is infectious.

15 grains of either Pyrodex P or 3F BP is a really good load.

only 24 grains with Slickshot nipples? I'm using matched factory ¢raptastic nipples. "Matched" means that I took nipples from 3 cylinders & measured all, and sorted to find 6 matching dimensions. In other pistols I use Ampco-Treso nipples, all without any problems. Haven't been able to determine why some cyli8nders just won't function 100% without Slickshots, but it's good to know there out there, easily available, and dependable.

With practice and the current load you're using, you should be able to match the one big raggedy hole in the middle of your target at 36 and 50 foot distances. I use a lightly lubed TP wad between ball & powder - works as good as the lubed felt. In my .44 cal ROA, I've been able to shoot all day using lightly lubed paper wads, only wiping down the cylinder face with a rag from time-to-time.

I'm working on a brown grocery bag paper) paper wad dry-lubed with Castor Oil. Results coming later this winter, as time permits. I can shoot my .62 cal musket all day long with dry-lubed Castor Oil fiber wads & don't get enough fouling accumulation to affect easy loading & expect the same from C&B revolver loading.

Cleanup is what you make it. There are a lot of Ballistol fans, aficionados and devotees out there, but I'm not one of them.

Where would one find these Slixshot nipples? I would like to put them on my two 1860 Colts.Thanks.

Latest posts

Back