• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stuck windage screw on 54 caliber Renegade

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Russ Clagett

32 Cal.
Reaction score
I have a TC Renegade in 54 caliber that is new to me but unfired. The rifle is in new condition, but the windage screw seems to be stuck and won't turn. Elevation works fine.

I have soaked it in Ballistol and it will not turn...and I don't want to strip it out. I don't see a locking set screw anywhere, just the windage screw.

Options are replacing the entire sight, or drilling out the tang for an aperture sight....

Is this a common issue with the Renegade sights?

Opinions and options are welcome!

If it is not rust, or that some previous owner may have caused a stripped screw problem, check around for a small set screw. I do not know if it came with a set screw from factory, but I have seen people install one for their own reasons. And also check for possible locktite that may have been used.

Ditto on set screw. Rear sight on my New Englander has one.

Soak it in Kroil Oil, may take a week or so.

It you have a jewelry vibrating cleaner, put the Kroil in it and the sight and let the 2 do their work..

I have a TC Renegade in 54 caliber that is new to me but unfired. The rifle is in new condition, but the windage screw seems to be stuck and won't turn. Elevation works fine.

I have soaked it in Ballistol and it will not turn...and I don't want to strip it out. I don't see a locking set screw anywhere, just the windage screw.

Options are replacing the entire sight, or drilling out the tang for an aperture sight....

Is this a common issue with the Renegade sights?

Opinions and options are welcome!
If you have examined and eliminated a possible set screw: Use a screwdriver that fits tight, and apply heat from a heat gun. Heat can do wonders, but does not always guarantee results.
Good luck!
Larry

Gentlemen,

Can't thank you enough...I looked again with the sight off the rifle and found the world's smallest set screw on the back of the sight. I'm amazed I even had a hex wrench that would fit.

Sight tracks normally now, and I'm ready to shoot.

Thanks again!

Gentlemen,

Can't thank you enough...I looked again with the sight off the rifle and found the world's smallest set screw on the back of the sight. I'm amazed I even had a hex wrench that would fit.

Sight tracks normally now, and I'm ready to shoot.

Thanks again!
Now the thread will continue to get suggestions as to how to solve the problem……. Curious, could you post a photograph of the set screw?

I find this to be an interesting subject. I recently bought an orphaned Seneca and during the cleaning and fondling stage I reviewed the T/C owners manuals that I have accumulated over the years; only one has any mention of sight adjustment and it is a copy dated 1990 (red cover). In that manual it cautions that there is a "positve lock" Allen screw on the windage adjustment of Seneca, Cherokee and Patriot models. That set screw is on the front (muzzle side) of the block that the windage blade rides in.
I picked up the Seneca and looked at the sight, nope no set screw........wait a minute.........the elevation was set all the way down and the set screw was completely blocked by the mounting base. I had to take the elevation screw all the way out of the sight before a wrench would even insert into the set screw.
I have two other Senecas, so I did and inspection on the one that is easily at hand and found the set screw (unset). With that screw unset there is quite a bit of play possible in the windage blade. By the way on the newer (older) Seneca when the elevation is all the way down the windage blade doesn't move; with the elevation raised the windage has play when unset.
I even did a search of the Forum for this subject and found a post from several years back where someone who had somehow found this screw on their Seneca was asking if others had the same screw. At that time I got both of my Senecas out, inspected them and replied, "Nope, no set screws on my sights."
Oops! So for the record I have supplied incorrect information on the Forum.........at least once...........okay, twice if your going to count both rifles.

On T/C's there CAN be (but not always) a tiny Allen/hex set screw that locks the windage adjustment. This screw is hard to see and MUST be backed off or you WILL strip the head of the windage adjustment screw. Ask me how I know. I recently found an ebay seller that sells newly made direct replacement windage screws for Senecas and Cherokees. I'm not sure off the top of my head if they fit Renegades, Hawkens, or New Englanders. Screw is roughly $10. I bought one and it fits my Seneca perfectly and looks 100% factory.

Ballistol is NOT a penetrating oil. Best penetrating oils I've found thus far- Kroil and Seafoam Deep Creep. Apply those, allow to soak in for a couple days. Apply heat. Works every time.

In order to find this set screw I had to take the whole sight assembly off the rifle, then pull the elevation ramp up out of the sight. Only then was the screw visible from the front, which is normally hidden when the sight is down. I don't think I would have ever seen it without taking the whole sight off.

And it is very small, I was surprised I had a wrench to fit it....

I'll try and get a pic this evening after work. I'll need someone to run me through how to post it.

I was finally able to get out to the shop and get a pic of the set screw on my Renegade. The elevation screw has to come all the way out and the sight ramp lifted up in order to get the pic. The screw is hidden when the sight is down.

Once the ramp is up, look for the set screw on the front....in other words look from the muzzle end back toward the lock and the screw will be visible on the left side as you look back toward the lock.

If someone can tell me how to post a pic I have one I can share in case anyone else has this issue...

Back