• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stuck in Barrel...

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When using any kind of bore brush, NEVER turn it counterclockwise. Always turn it to your right, or Clockwise as its used. Even if it appears to stick in the grooves, turn it to the right, and the bristles will move over to allow the brush to be worked free.

A Bore Brush should be all you need to get the paper out of the barrel. A patch worm should be part of your regular cleaning kit, however. And, I have seen shooters use the ball pulling jag( looks like a wood screw solders to a threaded base) to get wads out of Nock-style powder chambers. In more than 30 years of shooting, I have only used my patch worm Once, and it worked like a charm.

Best of luck to you.

I have used a .22 cal. brass bore brush to retrieve lost cloth cleaning patches in the past. Works great.

Try a small (size 12) trebel hook with the hooks bent out taped to your ramrod.

Better yet go to a gun shop and buy a TC worm. They cost about $3.

In an emergency like this, you can use a coil spring that will just thread onto the end of the ramrod an inch or more. Spread out the coils at the end and twist the ramrod when you get to the bottom of the bore; hopefully this will snag the paper toweling. The ramrod with spring needs to be a slip fit in the bore of course. Another thing to try is to flush the paper out with water . Insert a small tube in the bore with the muzzle pointing down and flush with water. Worth a try. Good luck.

I don't think the grease-gun trick would work. The grease would just ooze by the paper.
I'd be tempted to fire a couple of caps, then load it, and shoot it, let the paper burn out.

I liked this suggestion of a coil of wire on the end of the ramrod, simple...as long as it does not turn too easily on the end of the ramrod.

I have before made a worm from a used borebrush by using side-cutting pliers to cut the brush about a half-inch above the brass base and spread the two twisted steel wires (which held the bristles) into the shape of a worm. If you are careful you can do so in such a way that any contact to the barrel interior is with a curved surface of the wire and not a sharp point.

works for me.

YHS,
rawdog

I broke down and just took the long drive to buy a patch puller. Not the kind with two brass prongs, but the type with what looks like a sharpened coil spring on the end. It kept pulling out tiny bits for a while, but finally grabbed the whole thing and pulled it out.

Will be using cotton fabric for patches from now on, like I should have from the beginning. I had a yard of pillow ticking with me and didn't even think to use it :doh:

Glad you got it out. Don't feel too embarrassed though. You're not the only person who ever tried to do something, um.... differently. We've all been there.

Nuclear Meltdown, He has spoken volumes of wisdom to you. We all have been there, done that. I can't even remember all the mistakes I have done ( "premature" senior moments, or CRS disease!) One of the wonderful thing about this forum is that people come on here talking about how they think they invented a new way to screw up their equipment, and I am INSTANTLY reminded of something I did similar that I had long forgotten, or wished I had truly forgotten. :cursing: :blah: :rotf: :bow: :thumbsup:

A lot of us actually OWE YOU a huge " Thank You " for reminding us of something we did once that we regretted within the speed of light, and have been trying to forget ever since. I know I smiled when I read your first post- not because I was laughing at you-- but because you made me laugh at myself!

THANK YOU. Welcome to the club! :shocked2: :redface: :wink:

Sorry I didnt read allllll the responses but has someone suggested useing a hand tourch through the nipple hole and just drying it up and burning it out?

I didn't go counterclockwise, the brush came off the little brass screw tip end and it came out with the rod and just a plain brush was in there, then I used a wire worm and it broke off too and the wire only was in there.

Some members report success using a piece of PBC pipe that fits down their bores. They push the pipe down and over the brush , and then pull both out of the barrel. Otherwise, you need to remove the breechplug and THEN remove the blockage. Sorry you have having such a run of bad luck with cleaning jags. Most of the better make ones will have the steel wire that forms the brush, or patch screw soldered, or brazed to the brass fitting that screws into your rod. The solder or brazing helps to keep the parts from separating.

Well I got a coat hanger and made a tight loop on the end after I straighten it out and got down behind the brush and it pulled right out after putting some oil on it. also got the worm out and finished cleaning it up. I did this with a brown bess one time, and used a long straight coat hanger to pull out some wads of cloth. So glad that dude came out.

Back