• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Still get up at Dawn thirty to hunt?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I have slept in my blind, both overnight and just naps, and have seen more deer when I was in the woods early, but I also dont see a problem with going later, as I have gotten deer all through out the day (legal shooting hours). If I can't be there when the woods wake up, I like to be there when they go to sleep, and both is perfect, but not always possible.

You know, after reading through these posts, it seems there is no wrong way to go about this. We all do what works, and that's what makes it special for each of us.

I have to get to the public hunting area for "safety training" and to post where I am hunting except for bow season. I like to see the woods wake up but I have spooked plenty of deer and turkey when I try to get there before legal shooting hours. I remember often hearing the snort close in the dark.

Mostly, yes. One morning a couple of years ago the alarm went off and I really struggled with getting up that early since I was getting tired from doing so for so many mornings in a row. Eventually I forced myself up and went on stand. Here's the result. I've use it as motivation ever since.

scan20small.jpg

armakiller said:
I plan on doing more 10:00 o'clock to dark hunting this year. What say ya'll? do ya still get up early to hunt?

If it is bucks you are after, I think your plan is perfect. If it is does then I would get up earlier. I have taken most of my bucks between the hours of 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. while many hunters are eating lunch. This may have occurred by chance, but I'm sticking with this timeframe through evening as prime time during the rut. :thumbsup:

It all depends upon the location. If it is tough to slip in without bumping them in the dark, then waiting to daylight is sometimes the best bet.

With that said, I don't get to go that much, so I will be out there whenever I can!

Good luck

stormcrow said:
I have taken most of my bucks between the hours of 10:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. while many hunters are eating lunch. This may have occurred by chance, but I'm sticking with this timeframe through evening as prime time during the rut. :thumbsup:

I have a theory on this - and it has paid off in my own hunting. In pressured hunting areas the orange hoard all move in at dawn, sit until 10:00AM and then go get a hot lunch or arrange to meet buddies. They then come back in at 2:00PM to sit out the twilight period.

The deer, having avioded the hunters when they entered the woods are disturbed as movement resumes and, the hunters staying put whether seated or still-hunting will have the benedit of a drive being put on for their benefit.

I had one primo blind that I placed having patterned hunters using ATVs that always traveled a specific logging road. I knew the deer would side-step the road when they heard the ATVs coming and move into thick cover . . . where I sat.

I have noticed that the slipping in at first light seems to help. I have seen more animals this way....some were spooked or busted me or they ended up in the freezer. A lot of my hunting is more geared towards weather. If a front is pushing in, I will try to get out there as early as possible and sit out the entire day.

pretty much always on the stand before sunrise...love to hear the woods wake up,mostly stay 'til dark sometimes have not taken a late PM shot for fear of not being able to track the critter.Shot a nice buck one year late PM couldn't find it in the dark had to go back the next AM and found it probably almost stepped on it in the dark, that night was the most miserable night I ever camped. after that I started passing some shots due to the lateness of the day.

Your hunter traffic theory is a distinct possibility that I hadn't considered. It's strange that when I do see bucks in the late morning to early afternoon it is always after a long lull of seeing or hearing anything else moving. There are a lot of bedding areas where I hunt, so my previous thinking was that randy bucks were tracking does to their beds where they both knew they would be present at that time of day and in a relatively concealed area for safe pursuit of their duties. I guess it also depends on the terrain. If I had a field of crops to hunt instead of woodlands I would probably be in my stand by 5:00. But those early hours have not paid out bucks for me, just does going back to their bedding area. Always fun to try and figure out why and what motivates these amazing animals.

The older I get the later I seem to hunt.With that said, I have probably killed more whitetails after eight thirty than eairler.Most of my deer hunts are usually the most sucessfull around nine thirty.The sun is also much warmer by then and it is much eaiser to see.

The hunter traffic theory is definitely valid....just remember that if YOU are moving to stand late, you are part of that and driving deer out of your area to other hunters. Therefore, IMO, best to get in early with the other early hunters, but have the perseverance to hang tight so that when they get up to go for lunch, etc, they drive the deer into you instead of the other way around.

There is a fantastic video that is actually done with traditional muzzleloaders by BKS Productions (Roger Raglin) called Black Powder and Bow Hunting Whitetail Deer. The first 1/2 of this video shows all the factors of setting up on pressured properties and the second 1/2 focuses on quick scouting of new properties. It's very well done and very educational. $14.95
http://www.trmichels.com/StoneyWolfRogerRaglin.htm

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks Spikebuck. I may need to order that one up to get me primed for this year. I try and stay away from other hunters, but would think the same principle applies whether there are four or a dozen other people in the woods making noise.

I hunt to enjoy the time in the woods. Usually not an early morning hunter and I am not real serious about making a kill. I just enjoy the time in the woods. Mostly go afternoon to dark; and any real bad snow storm I am out the there hunting in it. That's when I like flintin the best.

Hunting deer with a flint rifle in a snow storm is about as much fun as a man can have in my opinion. I almost always take a deer when hunting a bad snow storm.

Although I do get up early and am ready for the hunt before sunrise, most of the deer I've shot were between 9AM and 1PM...so why the early start? In part it's in recognition that I'm still doing it and also because the sunrise on a frosty morn is a most pleasureable event of a fleeting time of a few days duration, but is most appreciated.

Now, elk MLer hunting in SW Colorado deserves nothing less, so we "go up" in the dark and the sunrise is more beautiful than in flat country deer hunting....the San Juan mountains are gorgeous and inspire thoughts not normally thought about. "Utopia" is a mental visualization but a sunrise in the high Rockies needs no imagination....it's a beautiful reality.

Yes....being on "stand" or ready to hunt at sunrise is a ritual that is rewarding in itself and greatly contributes to an appreciation of "what it's all about"......Fred

Latest posts

Back