• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Stick meat

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TANSTAAFL

Cannon
Reaction score
OK, we have all these recipes, but, what in the world beats plain old easy fixens of stick meat?

In all my years of rondys, trekking and hauling in a camp by horseback, stick meat has been the numero uno bill of fare for this child.

TANSTAAFL said:
OK, we have all these recipes, but, what in the world beats plain old easy fixens of stick meat?

In all my years of rondys, trekking and hauling in a camp by horseback, stick meat has been the numero uno bill of fare for this child.

Ok,
I'll Bite :grin:
"Stick meat"====Meat cooked on a stick or a spit?

takes a lot of sticks to make a meal. not much meat on them :haha:

Right, with many variations as to what and how to cook, all of them simple, with all I have tried, quick and good.

Ah, a man after me own heart! (Howdy Friend! Long time no see!)

Ever'thin' from a simple squirrel or rabbit skewer, to genuine mouth waterin' hump ribs. It's a common practice for me at rondyvoo to stab a couple of fair sized hunks of meat and leave 'em slow cooking all day long. Then whoever comes along and wants a bit nourishment simply slices off a mouthful or two. Also works great on a trek.

I think maybeso one my favorites is tongue - either chunked and skewered or just cooked whole.

Dang Ro, you got my mouth waterin'!

...The Kansan...

Hey Kansan, how goes the battle? Yep, meat be meat, but I prefer it be stick meat.

Kansan-Thought mebbe you'd gone under... Have missed your stories.

You guys ever try venison this way? I've been thinkin of pickin up an elk roast and tryin it, but they are so lean, I'm afraid it would get too dry.

Thoughts, comments?

You guys ever try venison this way? I've been thinkin of pickin up an elk roast and tryin it, but they are so lean, I'm afraid it would get too dry.

Done the deer and wapiti, as well as goat, (antelope to pilgrims) all were great.

In Asia, stick meat is very common. In Singapore and Malaysia they have a chicken dish called saute'. The meat is cooked on an open fire and served with peanut sauce mixed with spices like curry. I've traveled exstensively in Asia and it seems like every country has some version of stick meat.
My favorite stick meat however, is a fresh trout. Pop the head off and gut it. Slide a stick down the back bone and cook over a fire like a hot dog. when the meat gets cooked enough to fall off the stick, drop in onto a plate or flat rock and "eat up". I visited Alaska a few years ago and spent 5 weeks eating 3 meals a day of fish on a stick. I never got tired of it.

Regards
Wounded Knee

Back