• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Steel vs Aluminum Molds for large calibers

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
I have and use both steel (Lyman) and aluminum (Lee) molds and have had good results from both. I am well aware that the Lee is cheaper and that the Lyman is harder to damage. My question is solely concerned with their actual use for large caliber round balls. The aluminum heats (and cools) faster than the steel and in large sizes (.600 & up) the heat retention of the steel seems to produce better results. Is this a fluke, my imagination or is there an actual difference?

That is my opinion, also. Steel is more rugged and casts a more consistant ball throughout the session. Aluminum is less expensive and tends to have more overly hot/cool faults in the balls.

It can also be a personal matter as we all cast at different speeds and may over-run or under-run the optimal temp range for the mold.

I have Lyman steel molds in .54 and .62. I also have aluminum Lee molds in .32. The .62 casts absolutely beautiful balls whereas the small Lee's are nothing but a PITA to use. The .32 only throws about 50% keepers and all the rest go back into the pot... again... and again.

I personally have only had good results with steel moulds. I have had aluminum moulds and have had at times, very erractic results.

Aluminum can work with the large balls and bullets, but you MAY have to widen( enlarge) the hole in the cut-off plate, so that you get more lead into the mold faster. This keeps the molten lead more uniform in temperature during the pour, and reduces wrinkles, or air bubbles. It doesn't take much tweaking, depending on your casting technique. :thumbsup:

You do need to modify your casting technique to keep the aluminum blocks up to heat between pours. :hatsoff:

Coot.....It's not your imagination, the steel Lyman molds do cast a more concentric bullet than do the aluminum Lee molds. I have used Lyman molds all of my life and have cast thousands of bullets, but just recently I acquired a 54 cal rifle and wanted a 530 bullet for it. I was visiting Log Cabin Sport Shop and they had a 530 Lee mold in stock and what the heck, at $20 it was hard to pass up.When I started to cast bullets with it, it was slow to heat up and hold a proper temperature. When it did heat, it began to warp and started throwing egg shaped bullets. Out of about 200 bullets, I salvaged maybe 100. This was not the best performance I have gotten from a bullet mold and I wouldn't buy another Lee mold. Giving credit where credit counts, My lead pot is a Lee brand pot and I have had excellent service from it.
Frank

I've been casting for years with more than half a dozen steel and aluminum molds. I now use mostly Lee molds for .32 on up to .62. A ball as large as .62 needs to have metal go in fast or you end up with (usually) minor wrinkles. That's the only problem I've ever had with aluminum molds. The others, .32 - .54 normally give me no culls with the very first ball being excellent. I'd say any problems with aluminum molds is either poor casting technique/mold care or a defective mold. They're light weight and don't wear you out and inexpensive. They also produce excellent balls/bullets quite comparable with steel molds.

My experience is the same as Hanshi excepting that i havent used steel molds ( so i cant comment on them) but I have Lee RB moulds in .32 .45 .50 ( as well as others for cartridges)
and have had no problems at all. Once up to heat and get into a proper rhythm (and I cast on the gas ring of my kitchen stove)cast clean, round and wrinkle free. I think it comes down to (like everything in life)developing the technique that suits the equipment you have, so possibly people who are accustomed to using steel moulds have problems with alumium and vice versa.Remember lead is an easy metal to cast (I say that as an experienced bronze caster for art) I might also add that in Australia the cost between steel and aluminium molds is ENORMOUS--cheers zodd

I might as well put :2 in. I have used diffrent brands of steel and have used Lee molds. After you get use to working with both it's hard for me to say which is better. I have cast many diffrent cal. bullets and RB with both and they did just fine. Just have to make that adjustment in heat.

i have used both lee and lyman molds and the only thing i did was enlarge the pour holes in the lee mold and enlarge the pour hole in my lyman lead ladle. it gives an even pour and excellent results from the first ball to the last. Both are excellent molds once you get use to them.

I`ve cast 62`s and 69`s with lee molds and never had any problems. I cast 54`s and 50`s on a regular basis and never had a problem with them either. just my 2 cents

I have iron molds by Lymon and Ideal and aluminium ones from Lee and even a few brass ones from who knows. I have pretty good luck with all of them. The larger bullets & balls work best pouring from a ladle filling the cavity quickly. The smaller stuff works good with the production pot spout. I always smoke my molds, all of them.
Jon

Back