• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

steel butt plate

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

varsity07840

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I want to peen the edges of a steel butt plate to close a small inletting gap. Should I anneal it first?

Dangerous. Cast steel buttplates are so hard to peen that you run the chance of chipping put the wood. And they don't deform locally as brass does- you'll simply put in a big change in curve.

It certainly can't hurt. It would probably be a bit softer and easier to work. The ones I've done were not annealed, but the area to be worked was thin to begin with.....

You can try an anneal, but I don't think it will do any good. When it came out of the mold, it was probably as soft as it will ever be. It is a low carb steel, and cannot be hardened to any degree other than being work hardened, as far as I know.

I think Wick is right.
An as cast part is about as soft as it will ever be.

Look at it this way: Annealing steel envolves heating it red hot and then slowly cooling it.
When a casting is poured, it is hotter than red hot.
As it cools, it becomes red hot, heating the sand around it up to about the same temperature. Then the casting and sand slowly cool together.
You can't hardly ask for a better annealing environment.

The fact that most, if not all steel furniture castings are made with low carbon steel (which will not harden or work harden) assures it will stay soft even if you hammer or bend it.

zonie :)

It will be a lot less risky to simply remove more wood to better seat that buttplate, than to be hammering on a casting.

Use a marking dye, like lipstick on the backside of the buttplate, to mark the high spots, and carefully take them off with chisels, scrapers and sand paper. Test the buttplate frequently. It will take you a couple of hours of work, so spread it over a couple of days, and stop working when your fingers cramp, or you tire. No sense in ruining good work with a slip. And no sense cutting your self because of fatigue.

paulvallandigham said:
It will be a lot less risky to simply remove more wood to better seat that buttplate, than to be hammering on a casting.

Use a marking dye, like lipstick on the backside of the buttplate, to mark the high spots, and carefully take them off with chisels, scrapers and sand paper. Test the buttplate frequently. It will take you a couple of hours of work, so spread it over a couple of days, and stop working when your fingers cramp, or you tire. No sense in ruining good work with a slip. And no sense cutting your self because of fatigue.

I'm afraid I might open up a can of worms. There's only one spot where there's thin gap. Everywhere else it's pretty tight. Rich, I agree with you about the wood, but if I do peen it, I plan on taking it off the stock first, with the area needing work marked with white out. Peen it a bit, then see how it fits. More time consuming,
but safer. Actually I'm wondering if swelling in the pores from the truoil may be enough to close the gap.

Thanks to all for the feedback.

Duane

I first tried peening the steel butt plate (out of the stock) on my Lyman GPR kit, and gave it up quick. It would take a whole lot more hammering than I was willing to do, and it was lots of extra work cleaning up the peen marks, even if I didn't peen enough to make a difference. Nowhere near as easy or productive as peening brass. Back to the woodwork, and with inletting black and a little care, I didn't run across a single can of worms.

Duane: You will be better off using acraglass bedding compounds to seal the endgrain and marry the buttplate to the stock than using Tru-Oil. I have done both, and that would be my recommendation. However, your comment about there being only " One spot " that doesn't fit, is the cry from every stock maker I have ever known.

What, you don't want to join this club of adult men who mumble to themselves in their workshops, call upon unknown Gods, curse the devil, and engage in all kinds of incantations to drive evils spirits away from their work? Gee, I thought we were going to get another valued member to the club!

You will be much better off removing those high spots with a scraper, than trying to peen that steel buttplate. The real problem with steel, instead of brass, is that you get much more rebound with steel, so bending it " just enough " becomes much more maddening than removing a bit of wood to get that final low spot to show marking dye.

Paul ... you mean you only talk yourself in the shop alone? I do it everywhere! :hmm: :surrender:

Davy

Really good advice, Paul. I was thinking that bedding compound would probably be a quick -fix if he was not comfortable removing a little more wood. Give him choices and you will snag him into this "workshop thing" for sure. :haha:

Back