• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Squirrel rifle?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CO Elkeater said:
Is your point of impact much different than full loads?

That's the neat part. In all the larger cals I use with reduced charges (50, 54, 58 and 62 cal) there's no change out to at least 25 yards, normal small game distances. Tend to hit lower as you get out past 35, but you'd expect that.

Just sight in your rifle with your normal heavy big game load, then swap to the lighter charge and try shooting it at 25 yards. You're likely to be amazed, especially with the accuracy. Really slow twist barrels don't seem to shoot as tight, but my 1:48's shoot light charges at least as well as heavies.

Use your .45, I have a .32 and it's to "squirrelly" IMO. .45 is perfect as it helps with your aim game.

Might I add, the .45 can also be used with reduced loads as with any caliber, worth trying!

mancill said:
I need a rifle for squirrel and such.

I know you're asking about a rifle, and you've gotten a lot of good information. But have you considered a smoothie? You said in your post "...and such." Not sure what all you have in mind, but a smoothie would cover every "and such" there is! :thumbsup: From every kind of shot load to round balls...the smoothie would do it all. If you want the versatility of the smooth bore and feel of a rifle, a "smooth-rifle" would fill the bill perfectly.

A few years ago I bought a smooth rifle in "Early Virginia" style and it's definitely a favorite. I've taken many squirrel, rabbit, and three turkeys with it so far. I have a good round-ball load worked up, but so far haven't taken it deer hunting. If I could only have one gun, this one would be it!

15378879183_2a1b8beecf_c.jpg

16288146966_24f8050a8c_c.jpg

15948204277_a471524d69_c.jpg

17098374977_a72dd26961_c.jpg

Just something different to think about. :hmm:

You said it! I owned and killed squirrels with a Crockett for nearly 14 years and only let it go when an opportunity to get a .32 in a flint longrifle. I fortunately own a .32 and a .36 and, IMHO, they rule for small game/plinking/and practice.

Ok so I am having trouble finding 36 cal production rifles. So what would be a good one?

Dixie sold some. Don't know if they still do. As said above, there was a limited number of CVA 36's. Which I am sure come up for sale used once in a while.

The alternative is to have a barrel made up to fit a TC or Lyman gun. Or perhaps search for a Green Mtn drop in barrel.

Another alternative is to have an used/abused Armsport TC/ Lyman rifle reamed out and lined with a barrel liner.

Pedersoli makes the frontier in .36 or you could look for the clones by Cabela's called the blue ridge. Dixie also carries some .36s. lastly you could try a Traditions Shenandoah in .36. These are the only production .36 rifles that I am aware of. I am sure there are others.

Back