• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Source for Stocks

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, I have been involved in 2 deals with Gunstocks Plus in the past 1 1/2 years & both deals resulted in disaster. I will definately never use them again.....

IMHO, the best stock supplier right now is Wayne Dunlap. He is a great guy to deal with, he REALLY knows his wood, he supplies blanks & some precarved ML stocks, some modern stocks, & supplies some ML rifle parts kits if you want to build a rifle. I have used several of his parts kits, I have bought over a dozen stocks/blanks from him & have always been satisfied with his product. I just received 2 Isaac Haines #7 grade maple stocks from him & they are truely superb with remarkable vivid striping from end to end, correct grain flow thru the wrist, just really nice wood. Dunlaps Woodcrafts: 703-631-5147 www.dunlapwoodcrafts.com

Another stock supplier I have recently used once but with very good results is Jacks Mountain Stocks. He made a LH Bucks County stock for me recently & it was a superb job in all aspects with absolutely perfect inletting of the barrel channel, and that stock was a slick as a baby's butt when I got it, and I mean perfectly shaped, no errors, slips or miscuts, gouges, etc, this was one smooth beauty of a stock..... (I sent him my blank but he also has blanks on hand) Jacks Mountain Stocks: (570) or (717) 658-5269 (not sure of the area code as it may have changed there).

Jim Chambers has some great quality wood. I have seen several rifle built from Jim's rifle parts kits, but have not personally used them. But what I have seen from Jim's products is good very high quality in all the parts & worth the $ for what ya get. Chambers definately builds the Best locks.... :thumbsup: 828-667-8361

If you are close to Nashville, TN, I suggest going by Tip Curtis Frontier Shop. Tip has some very nice wood at times & reasonably priced also for the quality. I have bought at least a dozen stocks from Tip & have at least 4 of his here now waiting on me to build them, but have hand picked all of them as when I go there I am usually looking for something very special & very vivid in wood grain, structure, etc. He is a super guy to deal with. (615) 654-4445 Tip has a huge inventory & has well over 3 mil. $ in parts there on hand under roof for you to choose from. Hundreds upon hundreds of barrels... stocks... locks... you name it..... Tip has it or you probably don't need it....

Pecatonica always has some nice wood at Friendship, but IMHO seems a little overpriced for the quality. I have yet to find anything special there & the product seems so rough it is hard to tell sometimes what you are really getting in grain flow & etc..... I have to SEE the grain flow first, then I look at the charactor of the wood....

Tiger Hunt has a large display there at Friendship also. Again I have never seen anything special there... I have only bought from them one time (and recently) & had problems with the lock area & barrel channel inlet, as tho the stock was a Jaeger & supposedly preshaped for a Jaeger lock, neither a L&R Jaeger, Davis Jaeger or Chambers Germanic lock would fit the shape & line up to the barrel correctly, so I ended up using a Chambers Virginia lock, which is a superb lock & worked out fine, it was just I had to purchase another lock make it all work out & had not expected that. Price was a little high & very rough shaping compared to Dunlaps, Chambers or Tip Curtis's stocks.

If I were you, my first stop would be Dunlap Woodcrafts & that is probably as far as you will have to go unless he doesn't have the style of stock you want. :results:

Thank you all for the great info. I had been looking at Tiger Hunt and ran across gunstocksplus in my further searches. I hadn't heard of them but I was sure some of you all probably had some experience.

I am looking for a full length precarved stock to build a .36 squirrel gun. I am afraid I'm not quite set up to do heavy work like channel inletting and I have limited shop space (my wife objects when I clamp a vice to her oak dining room table :winking:)

I'll check out the other shops you indicated, hopefully I can get something to work on before the snow flies

Hey old40rod, Birddog6 was right about Jacks Mtn in Mclure Pa, he does good work a buddy of mine got a left hand Jaeger stk from him and its beutiful. Phone is 570-658-5269 1pm to 2:30pm and 11 pm to 1am are good times to call

I think your still gonna be in trouble with wife. Even with a precarved preinlet stock you will need to have a vise to work it with.
There will be a lot of wood to be removed and a lot of dust and shavings on the dining room floor.

I think your still gonna be in trouble with wife.

This of course is the perpetual state of things for most of us married men. I have learned, however, that it is all a question of degree. :D

If I bring something in the door that looks like a rough sawn 2 by 8, "she who must be obeyed" will demand a full explanation, thereupon giving her the opportunity to put a kaibosh on the entire endeavor. If its something she can readily identify as a "gun thing", in which she has no interest, my grief will be limited to suffering the indignities of a few terse comments before she leaves the room to continue on her neverending journey of making sure the world is not filled with nonsense. The wood mess I have to clean up in either event.

Therefore, you can see I have no choice other than to buy precarved stock in order to preserve my marriage. :: Hey... that's not bad... I might be able to use that on her to even justify the purchase.

Aw, shoot! Just do it! When she complains, remind her you could be buying a bass boat and all the bells & whistles!

Has any used TOW stocks? Thinking about trying their Leman fullstock, not inlet for lock or trigger gaurd.

I have over 50 blanks or stocks on hand here & of them I have 7 maple stock blanks & 2 precarved maple stocks from Dunlap Woodcrafts & 3 stocks here from Tip Curtis Frontier Shop. On every single one of them I feel I got much more than I paid for. (However, these stocks from Tip & Dunlaps Were hand picked) But If I wanted a superb blank from either of them & I called them & told them I wanted their Best, I feel confident they would send their best to me at a fair price. (they always have)
I have no stocks here from TOW because every time I have bought one from them I have felt they overcharged me for the product I received. :imo: I have tried them 5 different times & always was disappointed. Others tell me they have good deals from the, I have not, thus I don't look there.
I have stocks from probably 10 dif. places here & some are superb & some are so-so but of all of them in the past 10 years, Dunlaps & Tip's have given me the best value for the $. :results:

Now I know other venders have great wood & great values, but when I find a supplier that does me good & is more than fair with me, I am faithful to them & continue to use them for special rifles, unless the vender disappoints me or makes me feel uneasy of buying from them...

I approach buying my rifle parts differently than most ML guys. I always shop Quality first & it is of Utmost importance to me regardless of price, then I look at the price of that quality & compare it to other venders. If a vender is consistant & I can trust him, I don't mind a bit paying more for it Knowing I can trust him & he will do me right should a problem occur. And I will not detour from my quality goal when I set it for that rifle, no matter how long it takes me to find what I want for it.
You will find Most (not all) Most ML guys shop strictly price first & simply want the cheapest price, then hope for quality when they get it.... Now I know there are exceptions to this & some guys on this board that buy parts such as I do, but for the most part most ML guys are looking for cheap. Or that is what I have observed of it all in the past 30+ years of messin with ML's. I have never been disappointed in buying quality....

But as long as you are happy with the end results, really doesn't matter how ya do it. :thumbsup:

:DI buy my straighter grain stocks from Jack Garner, inexpensiv. The pricy ones elsewhere. Check out Don Stith St. Louis plains rifle Co. I have seen several of his .36 squirrel rifles, the lines are very pleasing. :applause: :applause:

I agree with the birddog buy quality it will last longer that the cheap stuff. You don't buy quality tools from wally world but their tools will work just not as good or as long. My brother has a saying about food (always eat the best cut you have then you will always be eating the best).
Don't cut corners on quality parts or you will be sorry later on.
Merry Christmas Fox

I never got a bad blank from TOW.

I haven't either... Just the oppisite. If they did not have the stock grade I asked for, they up graded me to the next expensive, but only charged me the lesser price...

I have no reason to look elsewhere at this point. I do build most of my own stocks however, but I have purchased six Dickert stocks from TOTW, never had a reason to return any of them. :peace:

Second for Wayne Dunlap. I've had good luck with him; can't comment on the others b/o no experience.

I've bought two stocks from Gunstocks Plus. Both times I had Virgil otto, the owner, do a custom Barrel channel. I couldn't ask for better work.I've called a couple of times for information and found him to be really helpful. I've been happy with the quality of work and the wood. I'm going to send him a Claro Walnut blank to use for a Manton English Sporting Rifle. So, for me, it's two thumbs up.

Back