• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Solomon Smith

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Kilchis Jack

32 Cal.
Reaction score
Solomon Smith, I have lived most of my life in Tillamook. The road just south of the Tillamook County Creamery Asso. is named Solly Smith road. Imagine my wonder when I saw the name Solomon Smith
in Osborne Russell's book, eve dentally Solomon was a devout Methodist and was involved with Jason Lee in planting new works, (churches) in the North West.
I found out that Solomon was also involved in raising cattle, in what was called Clatsop plains near the present Warrenton Oregon. The church building still standing and in good repair is a brick building, to the left of the building is a cemetery, I like to look around cemeteries for history, and sure enough there was the grave of good old Solomon Smith.
The Oregon coast is full of history, the museum at Tillamook is a must see. It was the old Tillamook county courthouse. Inside its wall are the artifacts of yesterday, in one room you see the representation of Tillamooks first settler who lived in a hollowed out old growth stump. Inside one room is a pioneer kitchen complete with cougar hides hanging in many places, tillamook had many cougars. Their gun room houses the guns of many pioneer settlers to our area. One longrifle has a shattered fore stock, but if you look past the age the rifle has on it, you can see that it was once a real beauty, with incised carving, and deeply rifled bore. It had been converted to percussion somewhere in its distant past, perhaps during the fur trade. Another room shows the remnants of a ship wrecked on our coast sometime in the 1750's large pieces of beeswax destined for the catholic church came all the way from the Phillipines only to be cast upon our shore. Indian artifacts from a tribe that supported the residents of Tillamook county are preserved in the museum.

JB: You live in a wonderful place, truly rich in history. I always enjoy my visits to Tillamook County, and look forward to my return. And I never pass through without stopping at the cheese factory for a bag of curds!

Ha.....

I used to live in Tillamook county. One of my first memories was going to the Tillamook pioneer museum, and seeing that hollowed stump house and thinking "That would be a nice place to live" Nowadays I would consider it an excellent camping spot.

It's been years, but I remember the long gun with the really crude repairs, where somebody wrapped wire around the stock and barrel a few times to keep them both together...Perhaps I should do a tutorial in the 'Builders Bench' on how to do that :)
Then there's the chunks of wood with big .69 or .75 balls imbedded in them....

Also....don't they have a very rusted dagger and revolver said to have been wrapped up in tallow and deer hide and hidden away?
I'd be interested in knowing the story behind that.

Also, the best of all...In the same display as the bees wax blocks they have the stones with cryptic letters and symbols said to have been put there by pirates pointing the way to their buried treasure?

I can go on and on........

Last edited by a moderator:
There are lots of mysteries here in Tillamook, did you notice the cannon ball, and sword found on the beach of Tillamook Bay. I think there is a lot more to be found here.

Jack

Me and my squaw are thinking about setting up our retirement camp around there in the future. Nice place.

I think this thread is a sign that I need to gather my little clan together and head out to my old stomping grounds one of these weekends.
My daughter is 6 and will have a blast.

I found a picture of the Stump house
IMG_4678.jpg

Here's a link to a short vid that talks about the treasure that was said to have been buried there by Spanish Pirates, who left stone markers to point the way to it. http://www.opb.org/programs/ofg/segments/view/1264

Last edited by a moderator:
Back