• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

smoothbore/cut down zouave

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No but I owned a zoli made repro that they call the buffalo hunter in .58 smooth.
It was very accurate with ball and very capable with shot. I have the pictures :).

Thank You, Britsmoothy ,(Nathan?) I recently acquired a Zoli Remington Zouave that I'm considering making a smoothbore out of, and possibly shortening to overcome my disability. I saw a picture online somewhere of a cut down Zouave that really looked good with the fore end style retained and I'll guess 24-26" barrel. In smoothbore, that would be handy even for me and would be lawful here in Arkansas for every thing from bats to buffalo. A few years ago Wally World decided to liquidate a bunch of sporting stuff and I grabbed all their musket caps, about 24 boxes for cheap and put them on layaway. A month later I went to get them out and there had been a price reduction, and Wally gave me the discount! Holy Cow! The trickle down theory at work! Any way, any stories you can share about your Buffalo rig would really be appreciated; I like the Idea of leaving it a .58 in smoothbore. Thanks for your reply, you just might conjure me to begin a project! YMHS,Geo. (P.S. Just kidding about the bats; they've got more rights here about than a sacred brahma cow in India.

1) Long time ago, 1980s, a friend of mine had a Zouave carbine and he shot good with it.
2) same time frame, you could buy drop in smooth bore Zouave barrels for rifle or carbine
3) also there was repro Harpers Ferry pistol in caplock that used the Zouave lock and barrel.If you could find any of these they might be easier to use than a smooth bore Zouave . are you thinking of something like your canoe gun with your Zouave lock in 20 gauge ? I wish we could get together and discuss this.

Interested in this as I just cut down my CVA Zoli Zouave 58. Been tempted to have it taken out to 62 cal smoothy.

Interested in this as I just cut down my CVA Zoli Zouave 58. Been tempted to have it taken out to 62 cal smoothy.
Hello bigted; I thought about that too, but leaving the gun a .58 smoothbore allows a 28ga and a duck stomping .58 PRB at maybe higher velocity? You could probably do as well with the 20ga/.62 caliber, the walls are plenty thick. What barrel length and what fore end configuration did you use? Also the barrel being a slow twist and a short barrel you may do ok with a paper cartridge shot load without reaming. I'd try it before I reamed it. Thanks for your post, Geo.

I recently found in a gunstore two different original Mississippi rifles that were both smooth bores. They were very well used. It’s clear to me that was a pretty common modification for a working mans sole weapon.

I recently found in a gunstore two different original Mississippi rifles that were both smooth bores. They were very well used. It’s clear to me that was a pretty common modification for a working mans sole weapon.
I agree, it would make a good all around gun, I don't know how often it was done, but it stands to reason. Read somewhere that many surplus Zouaves were bored to 20ga and sold to African tribesmen. Heard about one guy shooting a cape buffalo with a battery post out of one. He's braver than me!

Those people are probably still using those Zouaves.....

I found a recent pic of an African hunter with an old cut down flint lock musket.

Back