• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Smith Carbine cartridge cases: brass vs. rubber vs plastic?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

opusnight

58 Cal.
Reaction score
Am thinking of buying a Smith repro, Pietta of course. My question is, are the brass cases that Pietta sells worth it? I know the originals used India rubber and it's designed to expand and seal the gases in. Brass of course wouldn't do that; so is brass the way to go? Are there noticeable performance differences using a brass case? I know that Yore Supply has a urethane rubber tube they sell, and then Lodgewood makes a plastic case. Opinions? Experiences with the different kinds? Pro's vs con's?

I have used all three. Brass- very consistent seating depth, some gas escape but not bad, can extremely accurate if the gun is up to it. Plastic case- cheap, seating depth inconsistent, flash hole wear will also affect accuracy. Yore- more durable that plastic because of riveted flash hole, seating depth inconsistent, difficult to load for accuracy.

Bottom line, brass for match use. Plastic or Yore for plinking and general use. And yes, I have shot a Smith in competition. I now shoot a Sharps for a reason.

Latest posts

Back