• This community needs YOUR help today. We rely 100% on Supporting Memberships to fund our efforts. With the ever increasing fees of everything, we need help. We need more Supporting Members, today. Please invest back into this community. I will ship a few decals too in addition to all the account perks you get.

• Friends, our 2nd Amendment rights are always under attack and the NRA has been a constant for decades in helping fight that fight.

We have partnered with the NRA to offer you a discount on membership and Muzzleloading Forum gets a small percentage too of each membership, so you are supporting both the NRA and us.

Use this link to sign up please; https://membership.nra.org/recruiters/join/XR045103

Slots in wedge pins?

Muzzleloading Forum

Help Support Muzzleloading Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Shooey

45 Cal.
Reaction score
I am building a GPR and having a great time. I am cutting a slot down the middle of each wedge pin, about 1/8 inch wide. My plan is to capture a piece of wire behind each right side escutcheon (SP?) that bisects the hole vertically. This wire will go in the slot and allow the pin to slide out enough to remove the barrel, but will keep it captive in the stock.

My question is do I run the risk of weakening the pin enough to bend or break :):)under the force of recoil?

Thanks for your help!

SHOOEY!

My Hawken has captured keys and suffers no harm from having slotted keys. I like them better than the plain key in my Seneca.

The wedge pin has no function other than to keep the barrel to the wood so recoil should actually not be a factor at all. However if the pins come hardened you may have a problem cutting this slot. The GPR I have owned for many years came assembled & the wedge pins in it are extremely hard.

The keys in my old Hawken are held in with small screws driven in from the barrel channel. The keys aren't all that hard, but show no wear or abuse from recoil. Since the keys are seated during firing, there is no stress placed upon the screws. The pins don't have to be very big to get the job done--pin stock for making barrel retaining pins is plenty strong enough.

Back